Review of "The Great Raid"

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Review of \"The Great Raid\"

I'm no movie reviewer but this one needs mentioning.

It's not as good as "Saving Private Ryan" but it's not far from it. It's the best movie I have seen in good while. Be warned, it's graphic and intense. The fact it's based on a true story will leave you with a sense of sadness and pride. It's a must see for WWII and history buffs and an eye opener for others.

The theater was nearly full. When the movie ended only about 10 people stood up to leave. Everyone else sat in their seats to see the 5 minutes of credits. I've always thought that tells you a lot about a movie.

Santelmo

Enlightened
Re: Review of \"The Great Raid\"

My maternal grandfather was a sailor (US Navy) in the war and was lucky enough to escape capture and the horror of the "Bataan Death March", so the movie did hit something deep in me personally. He told me sadder, more horrible stories of how his unfortunate comrades fared (which I really can't tell here obviously). Remember how bitter one of the character's attitude was to Gen. MacArthur? That wasn't even an iota of the real pain and sense of abandonement felt by every Pinoy and American who was ever left there to starve, sicken and die (when the US government at that time pulled-out its forces here in the Far East to concentrate on European front).

FWIW, I'm mot here to stir-up old wounds and memories, but as a Filipino, there are just some things this generation needs to be reminded of. I just wish the US Congress can look after the welfare of the Filipino Veterans and render them the recognition and appropriate benefits due them.

To all of them, both Pinoy and American, THANK YOU for everything. You are all the reason why the "three stars and the sun" is flying overhead in this land.

Latest posts