On the fence to purchase a SF U2... "donut" beam?

DDS

Enlightened
On the fence to purchase a SF U2... \"donut\" beam?

I've been researching the threads on the U2, L2, and L4 and have pretty much decided on the U2. I like the variable beam selection and use of rechargeables over the L2. I have read, however, about the so called "donut" beam pattern inherent in many 5W LED's. Is this to be expected in all 5W's? I plan on buying the light online sight unseen, therefore I won't know the beam color/quality. What should I expect from the U2's beam? I have seen a modest number of lights for sale on the forums and am wondering why. I have also heard mention of a K2 Lumiled for future lights. Is this very far off? Would it be worth waiting on?
Thanks!
Dave

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: On the fence to purchase a SF U2... \"donut\" be

DDS,

The U2 is simply amazing.
I EDC mine and love it.

Some have alittle more of a hole than others.
But, none have a HOLE, when we say hole, we mean the very center of the beam is slightly dimmer than the edge of the hotspot.

Yes this is a problem most all 5W lights have.
The U2 has one of the best 5W beams I have ever seen though, in a light its size.

The K2? eh
Its a long ways off I think , especially beofre you start seeing it in any lights.
and I heard as of now, its not all its cracked up to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DDS

Enlightened

jtice : Ty for the feedback. I was unsure of what exactly the donut beam was; you have clarified that. I was initially thinking of getting the L2 because of the two stage switch and smaller size but I have read you can't use rechrgs. Others liked the L4 for the better flood beam but you'd have to add a two stage switch. I feel that the U2 is a better compromise for my needs, albeit, more expensive. thanks again!

cy

Flashaholic

I would only worry about the donut hole in U2, if you are planning hunting lots of white walls.

on fixed focus reflector which covers almost all LED lights. (PM6 LED is one of few exceptions) you need to chose where focal point is.

if you don't have a donut on U2, I submitt your beam will be out of focus for throw.

Kilted

Enlightened

I hedged on buying a U2 also. Then I had a chance to talk to the Surefire rep at EAA Flyin at Oshkosh, and handle one.

I like the size, feel, the color of the sample they had. It was real hard to get any comparsion at the show. BUT she did say yes Surefire did have production problems with the inital run and the high return rate caught them by surprise. And yes Surefire reads CPF and are aware of the comments here. Prodution of heads have caught up with demand and Surefire DOES select LED's for color etc.

So I ordered one. Initial responce. Excellent on form, fit, function, focus - a little off but I was comparing it to my Surefire L6. I find the color of the U2 MUCH easier on my eyes than the L6, my XO3 is a bit blue/HID'ish. I use my XO3 as my work edc, wonderful for that job. My U2's color is late, late afternoon sun, ie - warm.

I rate the color of my lights by taking them outside and compare them to the sun, morning, noon, evening.

The U2's spot/flood is wonderfull for walking around, dimming is a Godsend. Choice of batteries great.

Donut hole is only a factor during the BIG Game season of GWWH "Great White Wall Hunting".

=D~~ Kilted

DDS

Enlightened

cy: I'm a user so I plan on using the light for camping/woods and trail walking at night.

kilted: thanks for the details on your U2. Do you find that you use most of the settings? Is the lowest setting too b right for reading at night?

Kilted

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
DDS said:
cy: I'm a user so I plan on using the light for camping/woods and trail walking at night.

kilted: thanks for the details on your U2. Do you find that you use most of the settings? Is the lowest setting too b right for reading at night?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still to new to have found use for all levels. The one thing I've noticed with my other lights, they can be waaayyy to bright. I have an adjustable from Icarus, on high it's really to bright for in a house. I often use the bottom half of it's range.

Both lights, full dim is too dim for peering into corners during the day time, half is about right. Full on the 3x3w will blind you with the reflections. Full on U2 is not as bad lower power and more of a flood beam. I've found the the high intensity spot from the L6 hurts my eyes inside. Full on the U2 is more usefull as it is a wider spot and reflections are not as bad. Low on both is too bright in the middle of the night for potty runs. Use a different light or point it at the ceiling.

Outside, the only light I have that is bright enough is my Arco X990 HID.

When on a night walk any light you are comfortable carrying is ok. Remember sometimes less is better.

=D~~ Kilted

cy

Flashaholic

DDS, would high recommend trying to purchase used off cpf. better price and you get to ask what tint beam is.

earliest serial number U2 seems to the best, but that's no guarantee. most of the overachieving U2 with Xbin brightness seems from intial release.

my U2 has Xbin brightness, is white at all levels and has tiny donut hole close up.

use low and med most of the time. 18650 lives in my U2. depending upon lux lottery again. some will give all levels with li-ion. mine achieve all levels with 18650 and has a very long runtime.

socom45

Newly Enlightened

I use my U2 on foot patrol around the "yard" and find it amazingly bright enough...and if needed would say it would blind someone (especially after their eyes are adjusted to low light conditions) then the u2 is a bit of a surprise. Also, I've found it comparibly as bright as the m3 combat light (on high). And all settings are useful as well. Expensive, but in this case you do get what you pay for. Quote:I would only worry about the donut hole in U2, if you are planning hunting lots of white walls What you want to look for is a nice, crisp white tint (a little blue in it won't hurt)...since the whiter it is the better it is...and thus, the harder it will be to find. If you want some advice on a possible dealer to get you one, that can maybe check the light out for you to make sure you get a good one, let me know.

DDS

Enlightened

kilted: thanks for descriptions of beams

socom45: I'll PM you about dealer recommendations...thanks!

cy: appreciate your advice about the initial run Ubin lights. That may be a good thought to keep in mind if I can find a LNIB model.

Thanks to everyone who replied :)