SUREFIRE M3 head on M4 body- anyone tried this ?

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Assuming (I think they are) that the threads will permit the interchange of heads between the M3 and M4 lights, is it a workable solution to put an M3 head on the M4 body with the 12 volt lamp from the M4 turbohead fitted, to get a more powerful light with a smaller head than the M4?

I read one thread that suggested that the lamps weren't interchangeable between normal and turbohead due to a small length difference causing a focus shift, but I think this was for the reverse scenario (using a 'normal' lamp in the turbohead).

Would this setup run too hot? I'm talking of the HOLA lamp units, of course. The smaller head might concentrate the heat more than the larger surface area of the turbohead....

I already have an M3, so all I'd need is the M4 body tube, and the appropriate lamp assembly to run 12 volts....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/touche.gif

socom45

Newly Enlightened
the threads are the same, but might I ask for what purpose do you want to do this? Meaning...is it for more power, or do you like the feel of the m4 tube better than the m3? I personally would not attempt to use the m4 lamp in the m3 head...1 because I don't think the m3 bezel will accomodate the m4 lamp assembly, and 2, you will definately get more heat...plus, such action might even void any warranty. I faintly remember the lamp assemblies not being interchangeable but I may also be wrong. I do know you can use the m3 lamp, and bezel on the m4 but you would need to take a battery out and use a spacer in place of the missing battery. Only know cause I was going to do this at one time.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lamp post from an M4 lamp (MN60 or MN61) would be to long for the M3 head.Even if it fit without hitting the lens it would be way out of focus and not put out much light.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Re: SUREFIRE M3 head on M4 body- anyone tried th

I'm not committed to this course of action, just bouncing a few ideas around, a few 'what ifs'. I think the turboheads can make some lights look too front heavy, particularly the M3, which I much prefer in 'small mode'. Even the M4 looks a bit like a shrunk full size police flashlight, some of the pics of the M3 headed M4 & M6 on the spidered threads look cool, but I take the point about the non compatibility of lamps etc, it's a shame. Actually, I was looking for a way of getting more lamp power cheaply, so the purely cosmetic approach, with a battery spacer would not interest me. I will probably wait, and get an M6, I think it looks better balanced than the M4, more power as well!

Size15's

Flashaholic

P180.jpg

pyro

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
RAF_Groundcrew said:
Actually, I was looking for a way of getting more lamp power cheaply, so the purely cosmetic approach, with a battery spacer would not interest me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you can use 2x 17670 LiIon cells in the M4 body with
M3 lamps (MN10/MN11) and head.
Not more light, but a cheaper to run light.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

Take a look at Digilight USA's G&P high-pressure xenon lamp assemblies. According to G&P, the 9V lamp yields 88% as much light as a P91, the 12V lamp 15% more, while drawing less current than a P90. Currently Digilight offers the 9V lamp in both a P90-compatible size and a wider size mated with a miniturbo (43mm) head. By September, a 12V miniturbo head will be offered. Each should be Surefire compatible.

I have a keen interest in miniturbo heads. I've ordered most of the bodies, heads, and lamps and in September will soon be testing and reporting on the following combinations, using (as appropriate) primary and protected rechargeable 123A cells:

G&P G90 with Digilight 9V and 12V 43mm heads

Wolf Eyes 9MX with Wolf Eyes 9V and 12V 45mm heads

Microfire M3 with Microfire 9V and 12V 43mm heads

Wolf Eyes 6T with G&P P90-compatible 9V lamp in a Wolf Eyes 36mm head

I'll also determine which brands of lamp assembly or head can work with brands for which they were not designed.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hate to say this but ever thought that those lamp assembles are overrated? Given Surefire's conservative ratings it would be quite easy for another manufacturer to simply step up and inflate the numbers.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

I see your point, but keep in mind that G&P makes a non-high-pressure series of lamps, the G60, G90, and G120, that closely match Surefire's ratings and amps.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
pyro said:
[ QUOTE ]
RAF_Groundcrew said:
Actually, I was looking for a way of getting more lamp power cheaply, so the purely cosmetic approach, with a battery spacer would not interest me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you can use 2x 17670 LiIon cells in the M4 body with
M3 lamps (MN10/MN11) and head.
Not more light, but a cheaper to run light.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the setup i currently run, using the Pila 168S. Runtime is approximately on par with using 3xCR123 with the added bonus of the light staying whiter for longer.