Is there a bacteria expert in the house?

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just looked into my fridge's cheese/butter section on one of the doors. It wasn't pretty!

A brand new 2 pound chunk of Monterey Jack cheese (in a sealed Baggie) turned Bleu!

Is this a defective batch of cheese or is my refrigerator on the fritz?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
make sure tempature is below 40 .i realy never saw chease that color before though

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
I dunno, but that's one HUGE fish you got there in your avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]

That fish is small compared to my stereo set:
akh6bb.jpg

2dim

Enlightened
You can scrape or cut off the mold [it's not harmful] and just keep doing that when it returns...some actually like the taste/smell of blue cheese. How long was it stored anyway? Maybe best to cut larger block into pieces and store some in the freezer, though texture changes on thawing, so better for grating. Another alternative is to buy a good vacuum bag sealer...mine does mason jars, too.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
Marty Weiner said:
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
I dunno, but that's one HUGE fish you got there in your avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]
is that realy ya stereo seemes like it would blow up the walls but it sure is cool
That fish is small compared to my stereo set:
akh6bb.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
2dim said:
You can scrape or cut off the mold [it's not harmful] and just keep doing that when it returns...some actually like the taste/smell of blue cheese. How long was it stored anyway? Maybe best to cut larger block into pieces and store some in the freezer, though texture changes on thawing, so better for grating. Another alternative is to buy a good vacuum bag sealer...mine does mason jars, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought it last week from Smart & Final and the good-until date was 01/06.

JOshooter

Enlightened
So that's what I hear past midnight every night...

Ok, back on topic, I'd cut the mold off and eat it quick - but not the whole thing at once, you might choke on it...

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Why don't you return the cheese? If it had an expiration date of 01/06, it's not even close.

What kind of speakers do you have there?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
the speakers are 48,000 dollars a pair

I think that is a sub in the center

why is there an exit sign in the upper left of the picture

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
why is there an exit sign in the upper left of the picture

[/ QUOTE ]
It turns red when the system turns on. So you can run before the 8ft diameter sub kicks in and collapses your lungs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2dim

Enlightened
Phone the cheese company and store, because something may well be wrong with the packaging. Who knows, you may get lots of coupons along with your refund. In this case, I'd keep it all intact to show them. Otherwise, find a shady doctor and lawyer then claim food poisoning or something and go for the really big bucks...[just kidding--not advised].

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys. I was pulling your collective legs.

I've got a few pictures of outrageous things and those speakers (and the fish in my avatar) are some of those.

I wasn't kidding about the cheese however.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Marty Weiner said:
Sorry guys. I was pulling your collective legs.

I've got a few pictures of outrageous things and those speakers (and the fish in my avatar) are some of those.

I wasn't kidding about the cheese however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah I see, well the cheese should turn blue for your teasing us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Just Kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the package is sealed, odds are the cheese itself was fine. The usual cause is that the cutting and packing equipment used to cut the cheese from the original bulk product, and package it was not properly cleaned and disinfected. As a result, the cutting and packaging put bacteria/mold on the cheese surface, which grows. anytime you see something growing inside a seal package of cheese, there was a problem with how it was cut and/or packaged. The product is supposed to be sterile when it is packaged.

I have had that problem a number of times with products from Trader Joe's. I won't buy cheese there any longer.