Do Oxyride batteries improve LED performance?

onthebeam

Enlightened
I've been waiting for Panasonic Oxyride batteries to hit the market here and see that Walgreens now has them for $2.50 for four AAs. They also have AAAs.

Supposedly, according to David Pogue at Engadet, they put out 1.7 volts versus 1.5 for Alkalines, making flashlights brighter. Has anyone tested them for real world performance? In (non LED) flashlights, he says they don't outlast alkalines but really improve digital camera performance.

Oxyrides have already captured 10% market share in Japan. According to Panasonic, LED flashlights specifically are greatly improved with Oxyrides. So, I'm wondering if we can see some concrete tests?

mykall

Enlightened
The artilce we had in our Sunday paper about a week
ago quoted "experts" (pls notice the quotes) who
didn't think that these would amount to much. That
could just be because these so-called experts were from
Duracell, Eveready, and Ray-0.

I've always wondered why no one ever seemed to try
and pack 1.55 or 1.60 volts into a batt to prolong
runtime. I always thought that it could be because it
might damage certain electronics, now we see 1.7
released by Panasonic.

We'll see.

MB

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Onthebeam,

Welcome to CPF.

I ran some tests on these cells and compared them to other Alkaline cells. You can view the results here. Scroll down to the AA section of graphs and look for Panasonic Power Edge.

The hold voltage very well, but fall short on run time. At the time I tested them, they were also quite expensive.

Tom

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
would the Oxyride be a cheap alt. to lithiums?
whats the starting voltage for the Oxyrides?

David_Campen

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
would the Oxyride be a cheap alt. to lithiums?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, as you can see from SilverFox's data for 0.5 Amp and 1.0 Amp discharge rates. The Pansonic Power Edge are similar to standard alkalines. They hold voltage a little better but deliver only about the same amount of energy as a standard alkaline. At these discharge rates a Lithium AA will deliver 3 to 4 times as much energy as an alkaine.

[ QUOTE ]
whats the starting voltage for the Oxyrides?

[/ QUOTE ]
As you can see from SilverFox's data, about 1.55 to 1.6 volts when tested at 1.0 Amp and 0.5 Amp discharge rates.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check this thread. Note the runtime chart linked from post #636447 and the load test in linked from post #635735.

There is more discussion in this thread including links to other discussions.

-john

unclearty

Enlightened
I found these at a local Walgreens the other night. They had 4 packs of both AA's and AAA's...2 packs for $5. They seem to work really well. I put 2 AA's in a Dorcy 4 led...very nice. Now I have to go get some of the AAA's for my little Dorcy's.

lamperich

Enlightened
i think this is a good deal for medium current applications Why?

i have a little clock here with 2 LED´s for backlight.
When i push it on than the LCD is getting i little bit dimmer caused by the Voltage drop. it´s round about 100mA.
now i have 2 L91 in the clock.
The clock cost 5 Eur the Batteries cost 8 EUR.... That´s a bit crazy but right now it´s the only way the read the LCD at night without topple over.

@SilverFox

Do you know if the oxyride also have a termal runaway like many lithium primaries and secundaries have?

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Mykall - you can't simply "pack" more voltage into a battery, the voltage in a primary cell is dependent on the chemistry. Lithium can give you several different voltages (1.7, 3.0 and 4.2) depending on the chemistry. Oxyride have a modified Manganese Alkaline and therefore a different voltage.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Lamperich,

I don't know if the Oxyride cells exhibit thermal runaway. I was under the impression that they behaved more like an Alkaline cell, but I have not done any research on that.

Tom

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Considering that many LED lights are regulated they won't be any brighter on Oxyride. Just use NiMH. I really see no point at all using disposable batteries, whether alkaline, lithium, or oxyride, in a high-drain application like a flashlight. It gets really expensive really fast.