MJLED LED finds a good home

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Past users of the MJLED have noted a problem with using this LED.
The preferred amount of current is about 75-90mA, but that range is hard to control with just a pair of 1.5V cells.
Running very much above 100mA many times will damage the MJLED, causing the LED to start strobing-indicating that it's already been permanently damaged. -Not real great for an LED that you probably paid 5 bucks for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

At the same time, the current drops off quickly when the voltage goes down to 2.6V -making the light running time too short for the AAA or AA sized flashlight to be really practical. -Without additional resistance the AA/AAA cells will overdrive the lED and run down the batteries at the same time. In most cases (IMO) you're much better off with a Luxeon.

Long story short......this MJLED is much more suited to small pocket light use than anything else.
For the last three weeks I have been testing an MJLED sent to me by CPFer sunspot(Dana) in Alabama. It so happens that the diameter of this little LED fits just perfectly in the reflector of the Streamlight Key-Mate.
When transplanted into the Key-Mate head and run with only 3-LR44s, it is very bright and still only draws 85-90mA. The light will be about 4X brighter than stock. It's even 25% brighter than with the LCK26,000 LED-with no bluish tint at all. I metered BOTH of them-using the same batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Running this same setup on four LR-44 cells only increases output by 15%, but current draw shoots up to 155mA!, -and not long before your MJLED will say: bye-bye! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As I said, I've used this a lot for the last 3 weeks, and am very comfortable now with recommending this combination to anybody who wants a really strong mini light, but does not want to, or cannot spend $50.+ on a pocket/keyring light. In this case, your total cost (including the Key-Mate) is only around $15.00. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

This is a super simple little mod that almost anybody can do -and it's even reversible.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
attowatt said:
Is the runtime less, and if so how much less than a 26k led?
Jim

[/ QUOTE ]
With the 26K drawing only 55mA, the runtime is 2X as long as with the MJLED.
But...at 55mA the 26K LED is operating at over twice it's design limit, so it's brightness will fade significantly fairly soon.

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
When transplanted into the Key-Mate head and run with only 3-LR44s, it is very bright and still only draws 85-90mA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks vcal,
Did you have to install a spacer to take up the slack for missing batt?

Jim