HDS U60 Buzz

ibcj

Enlightened
I just received a HDS EDC U60 GT and when it is on, there is a slight buzzing sound that is emitted. It is faint, but can be easily heard when held near the ear. Just wondering if this is "normal" ?

MoonRise

Enlightened
Most likely it's Normal. Usual cause is inductor buzz/sing from the driver board electronics.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I just turned mine on (U60) to primary setting. No sound. When I cranked it up to full power, I could hear a buzzing when held at the ear.

Luxman

Enlightened
I thought it might be the coolant pump. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...but I don't hear any noise from mine at any light level.

Cmoore

Enlightened
I don't really know if mine makes any noise or not -- too many muzzle blasts and time in helicopters during 20 plus years in the Army for me to tell.

I did try mine next to a AM/FM radio though and did not detect any interference.

segan

Newly Enlightened
yeah my U60 buzzes occasionally when set to one of the lower levels. I think there was discussion in the HDS thread a while back on this issue, can't remember what was the outcome though :p

Connor

Enlightened
Henry once posted a comment on this somewhere. The buzzing sound is called "inductor sing" and is perfectly normal.

-Connor

ibcj

Enlightened
FYI - I emailed Henry and he said that it is the inductor and it is completely NORMAL. It will vary from setting to setting.

Latest posts