Surefire U2 or A2 Aviator?

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
Looking to pick up a third Surefire (have L4 and E1L).
Max output/throw for both of these is rougly the same. And both have low LED modes for night reading or power conservation. both around minimag size, U2 obviously the bulkier of the two (larger diameter).

Which do you find that you like better?
Do you find that you actually use more than two of the dimming settings on the U2? Conversely, do people complain of the A2 LED mode being too dim?

Thank you!
Gabe

MSI

Enlightened
I don't have any of them, but both sounds like excellent lights, and you will probably be happy with both. I would have chosen the U2 because of the possibility to use the larger rechargable Li-Ion batteries.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people seem to think the A2 dim mode is just about perfect. If there are complaints it is about the pattern, which is not as nice as those made by newer, dedicated reflector, Luxeon based lights.

Then it comes down to what you need for light. For outside, I prefer incans because, at least to me, they give better 3 dimensional discrimination.

I know, however, that some people think the U2 is the perfect light for EDC, even with it's size.

Bill

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Conversely, do people complain of the A2 LED mode being too dim?"

The LED mode is what it is. Its adequacy depends entirely upon what you are doing. All the colors are probably useful for reading, but only some will be useful for walking around.

I have A2s in red and yellow green. The red is brighter to read by, but is extremely dim for walking around outside (green/yellow plants don't exactly reflect a lot of red). The Y/G is much better for that purpose.

A lot of people like a white A2, but then you can get a 2-stage switch for your L4 and have pretty close to the same thing.

Can't say much about the U2 except that I would chose the A2 over it for size and the colored LEDs.

Scott

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I prefer the A2 because of size and simplicity. Whether the LEDs are bright enough or not depends on your use. I find them useful. The LEDs are about the same as a Opalec NewBeam. If you don't have a NewBeam, the LEDs are in the same ballpark as two ARC AAAs or two Infinity Ultras. If you get a A2, I recommend white LEDs.

I like the U2 and I use it around the house with Pilas.

You might want to add the L2 to your list of choices. The low beam is brighter than the low beam of the A2.

cy

Flashaholic
if your L4 puts out same lumens as E1L, then your L4 has an under performing luxeon. just didn't care for beam pattern or low output of E1L, so I sold it.

L4 & U2 if both have great luxeons will put out aprox. same lumens. if you already have a Me2s two stage in L4, you would gain more levels and 18650 use on U2.

U2 or KL4 should destroy A2's output. main advantage A2 has is some folks prefer a regulated incand's color. runtime is less on A2, but since it's discovered A2 can use 2x R123. runtime is no longer an issue.

solution of course is get both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

u2 lanyard.JPG

Hg203

Newly Enlightened
Cy, What's the mini surefire you have in that picture to the left of the M6? My best guess would be the E1L outdoorsman, but it doesn't seem to look like the one on SF's website.

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
...runtime is less on A2, but since it's discovered A2 can use 2x R123. runtime is no longer an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that little bit of info. I seriously consider purchasing new lights only if they can use rechargable batteries.

Is the red LED on the A2 adequate for walking around indoors?

When checking on my son in the middle of the night, I use my SL Stylus w/ the red LED so my night vision will not be impaired. To have both modes on one light would be great for me just in case I need a brighter light at a moments notice.

I was seriously considering a U2 as well, but I already have a KL4 head and I don't know I need 6 levels of white light.

cy

Flashaholic
light in pic is KL4 with vital gear FB1

KL4 head is one of most versitile and best available. can be coupled with bodies below and R123 li-ion.

three lights from left is part of my EDC rotation.

1. Arc LSH-P Ubin bumped to 750milliamps, so17, mineral lens
2. KL4 Xbin w/CR2 & Mce2s
3. KL4 Wbin E1E & Mce2s

fb1.JPG

edc rotation.JPG

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the thought and comments!
I guess I hadn't even thought about LED colors for the A2 other than white...

What's this about a two-stage switch for my L4?
Where? and how much?
(that might take care of my needs enough that I don't need either the U2 or A2!)

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
GiveMeLight,

I think the switches you are talking about are the McE2S switches and tailcaps. You can have different resistor values installed depending on how bright (or dim) you want. You can check out McGizmos forum here on CPF. Here is a link to the Aleph FAQ. I too am interested in this and may purchase one in the near future. They are also available at the Sandwich Shoppe

Through other threads here on CPF, I learned that on high mode, the A2's LEDs are also on. Surefire also confirmed this when I emailed them. I'm wondering if having a LED other than white affects the color on high. Maybe someone with an A2 with a non-white LED can chime in?

Thanks

davidra

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wutda said:
GiveMeLight,

I think the switches you are talking about are the McE2S switches and tailcaps. You can have different resistor values installed depending on how bright (or dim) you want. You can check out McGizmos forum here on CPF. Here is a link to the Aleph FAQ. I too am interested in this and may purchase one in the near future. They are also available at the Sandwich Shoppe

Through other threads here on CPF, I learned that on high mode, the A2's LEDs are also on. Surefire also confirmed this when I emailed them. I'm wondering if having a LED other than white affects the color on high. Maybe someone with an A2 with a non-white LED can chime in?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got two A2's, one with white, one with red, and a blue set of LED's on the side. The red LED's do not affect the tint of the incan at all, unless you put it right up against a wall....you might see a hint of red. As far as walking around, my A2 red is next to my bed, and it is plenty bright for walking around a dark house. The white is brighter, and is better outside with more ambient light. I keep that one, an older model, in my car. The blue is brighter than the red, not as bright as the white, and is kind of cool, but not as useful as either of the others. A2's are great lights. Having a regulated incan makes up for the relatively short runtime, but the LED's will run for a long time.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have an L4, my first SF LED. I really like this light and use it a lot. It is clearly the most EDCable (look that up in your spell checker) of the L4-U2-A2 choices. You would find that a U2 would compete or compare more against your L4 than an A2. U2 on high throws slightly more with slightly wider beam than the L4 due to larger reflector.

The six levels on the U2 give great flexibility and I think level 2 or 3 is probably close to the A2 white. Level 1 or 2 is great for reading a map or chores in the car or tent.

If you have a very specific need for color than the A2 is the only choice. I don't have such a need and I think white is the way to go for most people in most situations.

Also the regulated incan on the A2 is a thing of beauty. This to me is worth making the A2 choice.

That's the long winded answer.
Short CPF answer: BUY BOTH!

Mark

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still getting used to the idea of production lights that break the $ 200 price point. The U2 seems like a great light, but maybe not really much more capability than you have now.

In 6 months, the Lumileds K2 will be out and potentially make the U2 obsolete, but the A2 will probably not be obsolete for a while, as least in the area of color rendering.

If I had your existing lights, which are nominally 50 - 100 lumens, I would be tempted to go for something maybe in the 300 - 500 Lumens range, or put the $s toward one of the ultra power custom incans being built by the Incan modders on this forum.

CNTSTPDRMN

Newly Enlightened
I have both U2 & A2 (white) I also have the L4--- I have to say, I've been using the U2 more and more, the dial is so convenient to use, plus the technology behind the light is incredible--- I like the A2 for it's size & versitility, the Leds come in real handy, but its incandescant bulb reaches much further than my U2, I enjoy the U2's flood/spill--- My L4 is the Flood king--- that is a wall of light, truly the most impressive light I own for its size--- Surefire is amazing--- I agree, you need to buy all of them--- believe me you'll find a use for them. If you're married, women have nooo idea that flashlights cost this much money, so its an easy hobby to hide, plus the hobby is useful!