4th Generation KL1 vs. 3rd Generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDR65

Enlightened
I have a black 4th generation Kl1 on my E2d and I like it a whole lot for runtime, throw and overall brightness. I also have an E1e that I'm not using b/c with the regular bulb its usefullness is limited to me. I could order another new Kl1 in HA or a local shop has the older version for a decent price. I'm wondering what I'd gain/lose by going to the older version. I know throw would be reduced, but how much output loss would I have and would I gain runtime?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'de lose quite a bit of throw, but you'de gain sidespill, I like the 4th gen better than my 3rd. I dont think the output is as high on the 3rd gen.

-David

WDR65

Enlightened
Humm, interesting. Sidespill might be useful for my E1e. Does the older generation have a longer runtime than the 4th generation is there little difference?

goldenlight

Enlightened
I have both (3rd. and 4th gen.) KL1's. I greatly prefer the 3rd. gen to the 4th gen., due to the greater sidespill. The 4th gen. does have much greater throw, of course.

I've never done a runtime comparison, but I'd expect the 3rd gen. to run a little longer, since total output is less.

My advice: if you can get a 3rd. gen. KL1 at a decent price, go for it; I think you'll like it.

I have my 3rd gen on an E1e body with a Z57 clicky switch, so it's fairly small. I have the 4th gen KL1 on an E2e body, with a Z57 switch as well, and it gets very little use. It comes down to personal preference. Just my 2¢

Luxman

Enlightened
I have the KL1 G4 on my e2 and really like it for the throw and brightness.
I have the KL1 G2 on my e1 and also like it very much for "a different kind of light"..lots of flood for walking and looking for things at a closer range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont like the 3rd generation as much, I traded mine, it doesnt have enough throw of flood IMHO.

-David

greenLED

Flashaholic
Has anyone swapped the TIR optic for a reflector in the 4th gen KL1? Would it even make sense to do it?

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
a couple of guys have done it, but I wouldnt if you like throw.

-David

attowatt

Enlightened
I have both gen 3 and gen 4. I dont use my gen 4 as it has no real side spill. I sent my gen 3 to chop and he modded with a lux 3 and changed the optics to a reflector, and kept the current at 350ma, which gives me LOOOONNNNGG runtime. Some have opted to run current higher for a brighter light.

I have both flood and throw. This chop(ed) setup resides on an e1e with a clicky tailcap. I use other lights but always revert to this light as edc.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.