Maglite 6D mod?

Delghi

Enlightened
Hello everyone

I am new to this shining world of flashlights I would like to mod my Maglite 6D but I need your suggestions on wich type and where I can buy

Bulb, reflector, batteries and other things you think I might need

I would like to make a recharchable battery pack that would last for more about 90 minutes and 800/1000 lumens output

Thanks a lot
David

Timson

Enlightened
David,

Sounds like a tall order to me......800/1000Lumens for 90mins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

For this kind of output - the flashlight will generate a significant amount of heat. so you'll nee to modify the internals some.....

These are the standard mods for hi power mag mods and should do just fine in your set-up.....

1) UCL/Borofloat glass lense (See banner ads for Flashlight lense Co)

2) Fivemega/Modamag light orange peel textured aluminium reflector (Look in group buy section)

3) KIU's Bi Pin mag switch kit (Group buy section)

This should take care of the heat issues
Now what lamp and batteries to use......

You want rechargeable....So we're looking at NiCd / NiMh
Don't know much about Lithium cells so I'll steer clear of those.

You could then simply bung in 6 x 11000mah NiMh D cells (Try e-bay for good deals)

Then fit a WA1274 Bi-Pin lamp - This is going to give you around 550 - 600 Lumens for about 3.5 hours

Alternatively you could fit 2 X 4Ah magcharger battery sticks (Very difficult to source) for 12v
and fit a WA1154 bi-pin lamp

This should give you your 800 - 1000 lumens - but only for 60 - 70 mins runtime.

Easier to get hold of would be standard Magcharger battery sticks - but these are only 2.4Ah so would only give you about 30 mins runtime.

I'm sure the guru's on this site will be able to come up with all sorts of weird and wonderful suggestions........How deep are your pockets - Hold onto your wallet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim

Delghi

Enlightened
Thanks Tim for your fast help

Ok maybe 90 minutes runtime at 1000 lumens is too much..
I required that because my standard 6D Maglite is advertised as 110 lumens and 10 hours runtime but after 15 minutes output dramaticly decrease anda after an hour is more than 50% weeker

I would be happy with my mod about 700/800 lumens even 50 minutes runtime but at 100% output than other time of useful light. Certainly the more (output and runtime) is better.. Would it be possible?

I can't find anything about the alluminum reflector Fivemega/modamag and Bi Pin switch kit is there an online store that sell these kind of things?

I can't completley understand the battery issue how can I fit in a 6D 2 magcharger sticks? What do you think would be the best rechargeble batteries I can put in my 6d body?

Any other configuration is welcome please imagine to do your perfect 6D Maglite mod.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Please try to be simple and detailed especially where to buy.. remember I am newbie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My budget is around 100$

Thank you all

Timson

Enlightened
David,

A magcharger battery stick is made up of 5 x 1/2D size cells. - Producing 6V.
These battery sticks take up the same space as 3 x D cells, therefore you could fit 2 of these battery sticks into your mag for 12v and use a WA1154.

Sourcing the high capacity cells is really difficult if you're on a budget.

Probably the cheapest and most reliable mod for you would be the 6 x D NiMh cells and WA1274.
The output from this set up will blow your 110 lumen mag away!! - No comparison. Plus with the flat discharge curve of NiMh's you'll get near constant output - only dimming significantly at the end of their useable charge. 3.5hrs runtime is a great bonus too.
Check e-bay for the cells - Do a search - type in '11000mah'.

Look Here for the Bi-Pin socket conversion.

Look Here for the aluminium reflector

Look Here for the UCL lense.

Look Here for the 1274 lamp.

Must dash now - Gotta go to work.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
Tim

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
Hey Delghi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Welcome to CPF!

Light Edge has LOP, MOP, and HOP reflectors, too. (Maybe they're the same as the ones in the group buy, I don't know.)

rick88

Newly Enlightened
There's also overdriving a 1111 bulb at 7.2V with 6 NiMh D cells - (might have to let the cells cool off/run down a bit right after charging). Rated for 3.35A @ 6V & 465 lumens. At 7.2V, 880 lumens, around 4.2A or so - about 2.5 hours run time with the high output 11000mah D cells. Drawback would be bulb life - from 100 rated hours to about 10 hours. Ask the vendor to be sure the cells can handle the high current draw.

Delghi

Enlightened
Here I am

what do you mean by sourcing the high capacity cells?
What advantages would I get? Maybe my budget can grow up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would like not to shorten to life of the bulb anymore

Ok
I could buy from Light-egdge the LOP reflector and WA bulb (still don't know wich one but I can't find the WA1154)
the socket conversion bin pin from the group buy
UCL from flashlightlenses.com

I just have to choose the bulb and the batteries..

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt you can get the 3+ amps out of the 11000 MaH cells. If you can, the 1111 would be an awesome light, especially with that runtime!!

Bill

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Some cells can, but may be expensive - search for "11500" in Silverfox's excellent NiMH Comparison thread - the Accupower D 11500 has a pretty flat curve even @ 5 amps. The voltage is actually > 1.2V, tho. Would have to watch out if overdriving.

O, I just remember - do a search for "roar of the pelican" or "rop" - u can use the 600 lumen 24W pr base bulb from a Pelican Big D Rechargeable & not even need to do the bi-pin mod. IIRC, the nicad version is rated for 7.2v, so no overdriving for long life. Just need good batteries. Or overdrive the 6.0v lead acid version for mucho brightness!

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill, if you look at the test results of the AccuPower 11500 mAh cells in Silverfox's NiMH shoot out, you will see that they have no probelem even at 10A. They have a MPV of 1.15V at 10A.

Sigbjoern

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Timson got you covered on the heat issue part, but choose the Borofloat over the UCL, because it can withstand more heat. If you will need the Kiu bi-pin kit will depend on if you are going to use potted bulbs or not. Fivemega is soon coming with a adapter that let you easily switch between using both.

I wouldn't buy the first and best batteries off ebay, there are a huge difference between the voltage different types of cells manages to supply to the bulb, and hence there will be a big difference in brightness. And don't believe the stated capacity of the cells.

I have test results for the following NiMH D cells: AccuPower 11500 mAh, CTA 12000 mAh and Powerex 11000 mAh. and I will give you runtime and brightness for each type of cell for each of my bulb suggestions.

I don't have a Mag 6D so I have not tried the following setup myself, but they are based on actual measurements of the batteries and the specs of the bulbs.

Alternative 1: Pelican Big D SLA bulb - potted (can be bought from www.brightguy.com)
With Accupower batteries:
MPV=7.38V, Bulb lumens=1238, Torch lumens=805, Runtime=142 minutes, Lamp life=2 hours
With CTA batteries:
MPV=7.05V, Bulb lumens=1055, Torch lumens=686, Runtime=129 minutes, Lamp life=4 hours
With Powerex batteries:
MPV=7.05V, Bulb lumens=1055, Torch lumens=686, Runtime=116 minutes, Lamp life=4 hours

Alternative 2: WA1111 bulb - bi-pin or potted (Fivemega or www.Light-Edge.com)
With AccuPower batteries:
MPV=7.38V, Bulb lumens=959, Torch lumens=623, Runtime=170 minutes, Lamp life=8 hours
With CTA batteries:
MPV=7.05V, Bulb lumens=817, Torch lumens=531, Runtime=159 minutes, Lamp life=14 hours
With Powerex batteries:
MPV=7.05V, Bulb lumens=817, Torch lumens=531, Runtime=143 minutes, Lamp life=14 hours

Alternative 3: Osram HLX 64265 - bi-pin (can be bought here, note that I have not tried them)
MPV=7.2V, Bulb lumens=1448, Torch lumens=941, Runtime=115 minutes, Lamp life=11 hours
With CTA batteries:
MPV=6.9V, Bulb lumens=1247, Torch lumens=811, Runtime=108 minutes, Lamp life=18 hours
With Powerex batteries:
MPV=6.9V, Bulb lumens=1247, Torch lumens=811, Runtime=96 minutes, Lamp life=18 hours

Alternative 4: WA1274 bulb - bi-pin or potted (Litho123)
MPV=7.38V, Bulb lumens=603, Torch lumens=392, Runtime=228 minutes, Lamp life=30 hours
With CTA batteries:
MPV=7.05V, Bulb lumens=513, Torch lumens=333, Runtime=209 minutes, Lamp life=51 hours
With Powerex batteries:
MPV=7.05V, Bulb lumens=513, Torch lumens=333, Runtime=188 minutes, Lamp life=51 hours

*MPV=mid point voltage

The WA1274 is the bulb closest driven at spec, it is slightly overdriven with the AccuPower batteries and slightly underdriven with CTA and Powerex batteries. The other bulbs is highly overdriven and may be prone to instantflashing, especially if AccuPower batteries are used.

Edit: Found the lifetime spec of the Pelican Big D Nicad version (30 hours), assumes the SLA version has the same lifetime. Rerated lifetime added for the Big D bulb. Not a recommended setup when we see the short lifetime.

Sigbjoern

HighLight

Enlightened
Click the link Timson gave you for the 1274 lamp. on the left you will see a link for Maglite. click that and you will see the "Mag Charger" light. click that pic and you will get the specs for that light. I read somewhere that that light is pretty awesome and its ready made and costs $90.00. However I'm personally not familiar with that light. Maybe others here can comment?

Delghi

Enlightened
Thanks for the very useful information I am getting

I can understand that the type and brand of batteries is extremly important I have been using some D cell Duracell Nimh 2200Mah.. is the mah gap real why is there so much difference?

What about the option of 2X 4Ah magcharger battery sticks?

WA bulbs are available as potted or bi-pin if I get a potted one I don't even need an adaptor but do you loose performance?

The runtime you claimed means 100% output till the end or at 20 minutes i'm at 20% output, how does it work?

I know I am asking a lot but I like these things

I like all of the configuration shown I still don't know what to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
To see how big a difference there can be between batteries, see the NiMH battery shoot out by Silverfox. Some batteries have a much lower mAh rating than what they states, the mAh rating is used to calculate the runtime. The other factor is the voltage under load that affects brightness.
D cells with a rating of 2200mAh are most likely AA cells repackaged in D size container, you will probably notice that they are very light. Other NiMH cells will be very heavy. I don't know the cost of them but it would probably be cheaper to buy AA to D adaptors and use ordinary AA NiMH cells than those Duracells.

There is no performance difference between bi-pin and potted bulbs. But bi-pin bulbs are usually cheaper and easier to get, and they are also easier to center properly in the reflector.

My numbers for brightness and runtime was based on the MPV (mid point voltage), that is the voltage the batteries have when they have used 50% of their runtime. So the light will actually be brighter than my numbers to begin with, but when 50% of the runtime has passed, then it will start to be less.

Sigbjoern

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sig,

Thanks for the numbers!! I haven't followed the D cell NiMH much for the last several years, shows how far behind I am.

Wish that there were some 1/2D 6000's out there!!

Bill

Timson

Enlightened
Whenever I'v done an e-bay search for 11000mah cells it always comes up with 'Titanium' cells.
There seem to be some good offers on these at the mo'....and from the battery shootout on their 2400mah AA's I suspect they should be a good quality D cell that'll kick out enough current to weld by /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Had a further thought that might work well....

With some tail spring shortening you may be able to squeeze 8 x C cells (I think current top spec is 5000Mah)into a 6D Mag and drive a WA1185. Obviously fill out the lost cell diameter with a length of car radiator hose or similar for a snug fit.
Driven at spec rather than a Mag85 9 cell overdrive - but my guess is output will be pretty close - due to the internal resistance of the D cells being lower and being far mor capable of delivering the 'punch'than AA's.

This should produce the desired Lumen output and give a good hour runtime.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Now its 08.15hrs and I'm off to bed after a good night flashing my Mag60 around looking out for baddies.

Tim

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you search for "rechargeable d" (do not include the quotes) at e-bay, then you find a lot of cells that probably isn't very good. All the Titanium 11000mAh cells I found are acutally sold by Amondotech, but I find it strange that they were cheaper than if you bought them from their ordinary site, and they also state that they will ship worldwide, something they no longer do from their ordinary site.
If the performance of them are anything like their 2400, then they should indeed be very good, if just Amondotech could send some of their C, D and the new 2600 AA to Silverfox for testing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

You will not be able to fit 8 C cells in a 6D Mag.

Sigbjoern

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard that Amondotech's old stock, before he made the changes to upgrade the cells, ended up on EBay, so they MAY be those oldies.

Bill

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was just the CR123 cells that got upgraded, maybe Silverfox can tell us if they changed the wrapping on the upgraded cells since I know he got sent some.

Sigbjoern