HELP! My HP Deskjet 610CL has weirded out!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It's crazy. Back when I used the old 'puter, I could never ever print from email. I had to cut and paste into Word, then print.

It appeared the very same thing was going on here now. But I did finally get the printer to respond...

NOTHING but NOTHING appears on the pages. I see the head moving fine, and it feeds paper fine. It hasn't been used a lot, but last printed maybe 2 months ago.

Have I got a head problem? Or just an Ink problem?

It doesn't streak or anything. No color noe B&W.

Help?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'd say the ink in the heads dried out from lack of use. Sometimes you can revive the cartridges by soaking them overnight in water. Before doing that see if the printer prints from another program besides IE, such as Word. If it doesn't, then it's definitely a cartridge problem. If it does, then it's a software issue.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
When it goes through the motion of printing, whether through Notepad, Word etc. it makes all the right noises but nothing appears on the paper.

I guess I'll try soaking the cartridges. Got nothing to lose far as I can tell.

K A

Enlightened
That's one of the reasons I got rid of my Inkjet.. dried cartridges! I hardly print anything out anyway. So last year or so I bought a Brother 5040 (discontinued now) laser printer for $200 at Office Depot. The initial toner cartridge will last me quite a while (30K pages or so). And if it breaks down a few years from now it will be just as cheap to buy a new printer than trying to get this one fixed.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Trying right now to print a test page after soaking the cartridges... ain't looking good.

Zip Zero Nada.

CRAP!

I once had a stupid old dot matrix that NEVER EVER gave me any grief. This Inkjet thing did print me out some stuff perhaps 2 months ago, but appears now to be DOA. The black cartridge looks pretty empty, but the color cart can't be totally out. Besides, they colored the water they soaked in, and I blotted some color and black off them with a paper towel.

I can't just go buy another printer unless I have a good business reason. Guess I'd better get to thinking!

K A

Enlightened
If ink has dried up into the print head then I think those cartridges are toast. Unfortuanately I guess it's time for you to buy new ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Though to save money you might skip purchasing a color cartridge unless you really print out that much color.

Though if you don't touch the printer again for another two months that expensive cartridge might go toast again. The amount of money you spend for cartridges could cover the cost of a cheap laser printer real quick.

I maybe touch mine once a month. It stays turned off and under a dust cover. Never had a problem with it so far. 'So far' being the key opperative words. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif