3 x 3 watt nuwai modification ?

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about adding a current regulator to my light. This a one of the turbo 3x3 that electrolumens was selling. It has a 3 level switch that seems to take up a fair amount of space and I thought that I could put in a simple on off switch and a regulator in the space to boost up the current and get some performance out of the thing, maybe put in some better luxeons. Anybody have some thoughts?

Thanks,
Alex

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Do you know how to take it apart? Wayne (Elektro Lumens) told me he took one apart and destroyed it.

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
I saw in one of the threads a while back that someone was able to succesfully get it apart, using strap wrenches. I have an ample supply of brute force and awkwardness and I could use this as a reason to aquire more tools. So I thought I would give this a try.

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I remember reading this thread a while back. I'm really interested in a regulated solution. Does anybody have any recommendations on what driver to use? I was reading about the fatman, if I read it right, it can drive the 3 LED's in series and it is efficient.

Thanks,
Alex

balazer

Enlightened
If you're not opposed to using the 4 C NiMH cells, remember that NiMH cells have a very flat discharge curve compared to alkalines. You can probably do without a regulator completely.