Pelican M6 differences?

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,
I was interested in getting an M6. However when i looked on the website to buy one. There are two differnt ones for very different prices. I can't really tell the difference besides two differnt colors. Do you guys know the differences between the $57 and the $99 one?
http://www.batterystation.com/m6led.htm

thanks

Also... one more thing.
Is an M6 a light people will look at while it's turned on and go "holy poop that's bright!".

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm

There are 3 versions of the Pelican M6 model.

On the above listed page is Battery Station's CPF member specials page.

I have had the $35 incandescent model and $46 LED model. I lost the Pelican M6 incandescent one a few years ago but it was a nice light, brightness was on par with many 2 cell CR123 lights but it had a tight beams that throwed light out to a far distance (when compared to lights in its class, Surefire E2e, G2, and Streamlight Scorpion.)

The $46 LED model uses a 1 Watt HD Luxeon LED and is generally geared as a utility light, sacrificing some brightness for more run time.

The $99 HA III model uses a regulated (the $46 is not to my knowledge) 3 watt LED and I have got to handle this light. It has a nice beam pattern (more throw/tighter beam than the 1 watt LED one and sidepsill is just a bit brighter.)

Well to the common person (hence not CPF member or LEO/WAT/Military or anyone else with experience with CR123 and high output lights using other cells) the Pelican M6 incandescent will offer the most output at the cost of run time. Showing people a LED like the Pelican HA III should draw a wow, thats bright and if they have any experience with even common 2D cheapo flashlights, they should take hint at the color of the LED's or at least comment on it.

For a holy sh*t thats bright, get something brighter, like a USL or Surefire M6 or any other high lumen flashlight.

EDIT:

Here is a Pelican M6 Incandescent with twisty, Pelican M6 LED with clicky, and a SF E2e.

193185444_l.jpg

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, note the $99 M6 LED is a natural color hard anodize type 3 finish only. The others come in, I think, silver or black.

greenLED

Flashaholic
What Jason said. For its size, it is a "wow, that's bright" light, especially if what people around you consider larger Maglites to be the brightest out there. Once you get pickier about lights (don't tell anyone but there's some crazy people with an on-line forum about flashlights... they're nuts, I say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif), the Peli M6 might not be the brightest out there.

I don't use it much these days, it's still one of my favorite lights. I have the LED version, but I bought it when the LED module was threaded (as were the lamps), so I can swap LED and incan modules any time I want.

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, i did a quick search and found out what the USL is. That light is a little out of my price range.
The next light i have on my shopping list is a TSP.
Does anyone know of a light that is brighter than that even? I can't think of many. The most expensive light i have is around $150 and it's the pentalux. I would like to stay below that price range if at all possible.
I dont think there is an LED that is brighter than the TSP at that price range is there?

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok...
You morons now have me addicted and turned on and accepting the idea of CR123 lights. Oh man... my wallet is going to feel this one. THANKS A LOT!
DDOOOOOOOOH.

Ok... now back to business. sorry for calling you guys morons. aaaaaargh. I can't believe i'm falling for this.

Is there a nice LED light for under $150 that people will look at and go "holy poop that's bright!". Again, i'm OPEN to the idea of CR123's now.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends what group of people you are showing the light too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not everything is about pointing a bright flashlight at your friends and having them wince in pain and say holy schnikes that bright (well this is the case with a Surefire M6 but with MSRP at $392......)

With night adjusted eyes, I find that I can't look into a light that outputs 30-40 lumens+ without turning away. Forget about a 500 lumen M6 with night adjusted eyes, thats should be considered a less than lethal weapon.

After playing around with a Surefire L4 and McGizmo switch (two stage), I like it a lot. I might buy one myself (MIGHT, lol.)

Well, why not a compromise? A Surefire A2 Aviator can be had at certain places for like $140-$150 and you get 3 X 5 mm LED's for low level, and 50 lumens of white regulated incandescent light for ~hour. I got shocked with an A2 by a friend during early morning hours last drill weekend, he didn't even know what hit him (M6 HOLA, lol.)

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... so the folks that are selling the new version of the M6 e-mailed me back. They said the main differences between the new light and the previous one was the 3 watt LED vs. 1 watt.
Does that change anything? Does this make the new M6 an insanely bright light?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah... insanely bright is what I hear, though I havent bought one, I am waiting for them to come out by Pelican so can special order it from my PX so I can get it cheaper. Its rated at 61 lumens, amd throws like a beast is what I heard. Out throws inova Xo3, and comes VERY close to kl3 throw, but has much more output and spill than both. There is no doubt that I'm going to buy one.

-David

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find the Lux III Pelican to be an excellent performer. Out of the box the light is very good. With a little 'internal massaging' the light is 100% better with the same run time. Coming straight out of the box the Lux III light is impressive.

pelicanbeamshot3jv.jpg

pelicanmodbeamshot2sb.jpg

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Alin10123 said:
They said the main differences between the new light and the previous one was the 3 watt LED vs. 1 watt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Two more differences: The 3W is regulated and hard-anodized.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TrueBlue said:
I find the Lux III Pelican to be an excellent performer. Out of the box the light is very good. With a little 'internal massaging' the light is 100% better with the same run time. Coming straight out of the box the Lux III light is impressive.

pelicanbeamshot3jv.jpg

pelicanmodbeamshot2sb.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa. I can see a little difference in the pictures. Is it a much more noticeable difference in person? I'm going to have to get one of these for sure.

What did you do the the internals? also, will that hurt the life of the LED's?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mod is perfectly safe. I didn't do the mod...ARC mania did. Yes, the difference in the light is very noticable...very noticable. The modded light is great.

You'll see how first-class the Pelican/SuperBird mod is... here.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, my 3W has a plastic lens.
For me, the 3W has a lot of unique features: 3W, hard anodize III finish, serial numbers, regulation, and for the time being, only available at BatteryStation - good value for the features, I say.
Perhaps Alin should just buy both, er, all 3!

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TrueBlue said:
The mod is perfectly safe. I didn't do the mod...ARC mania did. Yes, the difference in the light is very noticable...very noticable. The modded light is great.

You'll see how first-class the Pelican/SuperBird mod is... here.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, sounds like a nice mod.
In the pics when you were talking about a stock M6. Which one was it? The regular LED one? Or the new one that's $99?
Do you have any idea how much that mod costs? I dont really have the machinery, the tools, or the know how.
How much did it cost you to get this done? and where did you have to send it to?

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yea, also.
Just a quick wrap of the mods...
He basically put in a huge heat sink and a new LED light? and made the beam focusable?