Does anything like this CR2 light exist?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've handled the JIL DD and seen the Orb RAW, and suddenly over lunch I acquired an interest in CR2 lights because of their ultra tiny size. Now I see why folks like CR2.

The JIL is nice in terms of light output but not that inspiring in terms of design. I'm looking for something that looks nice. Not really interested in that one. Handled one thanks to some kind CPFer's at the last 'unexpected meeting'. Thanks guys, I appreciate the chance to see any light in person, even if I decide not to adopt one.

The Orb looks the nicest, but a big turn off is that it has too short a runtime, runs blazing hot and not it's not even water-resistant or O-ring sealed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can fix two of the Orb's problems using a standard lithium Mn02 CR2 cell (primary) - I've heard somewhere that runtime is extended to somewhere in the region of 10 hours? Has anybody confirmed this? Additionally, how much light does it put out? I'm looking for more output than an ArcAAA-P. In this particular scenario I am quite willing to trade absolute brightness for runtime. I'm aware this is not exactly what the Raw was designed for.

But water resistance?

Oh yeah and just to make things worse I'm cost-sensitive nowadays /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif the Orb's price is about right.

marcspar

Enlightened
Kevin,

You can now get the orb with a two level switch, but that will not help your water resistance.

You might want to consider Endeavour's new "cr2 ion" light as well, but it does cost a little more than the orb.

Marc

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
I've handled the JIL DD and seen the Orb RAW, and suddenly over lunch I acquired an interest in CR2 lights because of their ultra tiny size. Now I see why folks like CR2.

The JIL is nice in terms of light output but not that inspiring in terms of design. I'm looking for something that looks nice. Not really interested in that one. Handled one thanks to some kind CPFer's at the last 'unexpected meeting'. Thanks guys, I appreciate the chance to see any light in person, even if I decide not to adopt one.

The Orb looks the nicest, but a big turn off is that it has too short a runtime, runs blazing hot and not it's not even water-resistant or O-ring sealed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I can fix two of the Orb's problems using a standard lithium Mn02 CR2 cell (primary) - I've heard somewhere that runtime is extended to somewhere in the region of 10 hours? Has anybody confirmed this? Additionally, how much light does it put out? I'm looking for more output than an ArcAAA-P. In this particular scenario I am quite willing to trade absolute brightness for runtime. I'm aware this is not exactly what the Raw was designed for.

But water resistance?

Oh yeah and just to make things worse I'm cost-sensitive nowadays /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif the Orb's price is about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't answer your question, but I'm really surprised to hear about your dislike of the Jil DD light's looks.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin,

welcome to the bandwagon...lol

check this out comming sooon to a flasholic

CR2 ION

*edit duh forgot the brackets
doug

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy, just thought I'd follow up with what I thought of it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif

This little gem is AMAZING! From the reviews I've been reading, it appears to do everything I need it to do. Even down to the presentation gift box, which is something you do not usually get in lights - this one's gonna be a thank you gift so it has to look a little prettier than the usual drab HA3 which is more utilitarian. Flashlightreviews says HA3, but I can get it in other Type II colors after checking around a little. Plus I won't go broke. The only thing I could possibly ask for is a glass front end, but that's nitpicking with what is otherwise a great light for the price. And I suspect once I get a Vortex for myself (we all saw THAT coming! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) I can rip mine apart and see whether a mineral glass lens will fit.

And a big THANK YOU for bringing this light to my attention /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif