Can a Q1 be upgraded to a Q3 by changing the led?

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Hi all,

I just got a Q1 from CPFer blademan and was thinking of changing the led to a lux 3 using the same circuit board. Is this effectively changing the Q1 to a Q3?

Also, are the dimensions of the two exactly the same? I.e. can i use viren's copper heatsink to DD a lux 3 in a Q1 body?

TIA

L

LITEmania

TIA :

Q1 uses R020 resistor whereas Q3 uses R050 resistor. But same cicuit board.

Same size of circuit means that you can use ViReN's Cu heatsink both models. And I am using it with R123 in Q3 now.

Warren,

L

LITEmania

Yes, if you DD without circuit component, it is OK. Just take away all component. see this
etendue_162_2.jpg

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
It isn't a problem if your up to the task of removing a very small surface mount resistor and installing another in it's place. You would need a steady hand and a low wattage soldering iron that has a very fine point tip. Working with small surface mount electronic components requires thought and preparation and can be somewhat frustrating at times. Try un-soldering and re-soldering a few surface mount resistors from an old circuit board first to determine if your comfortable working with these tiny parts. It's not everyone's cup of tea.