got my wisdom teeth taken out

Reptilezs

Enlightened
and im miserable. you guys have any tips? as far as pain goes should i just take the oxycodone? i dont want to become dependant on it/have withdrawls. should i take tylenol instead?. the pain isnt un bearable or anything. any food tips? meh just venting i guess

KingSmono

Enlightened
I think I stuck with tylenol when I got mine taken out... It was years ago though, so I'm not 100% positive about that. One thing I DISTINCTLY remember, was drinking Cran-Grape juice by the gallon. I seriously went through sooooo much of that stuff. You'd think I'd be sick of it, but it's still one of my favorite drinks. But, I have this weird "cognative taste aversion" to it now... every time I drink it, I get very vivid memories of when I got my wisdom teeth taken out! Weird huh? Good luck, you'll be back to eatin' normally very soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Allen

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO if you are in pain take the medication "as prescribed", that is what it is for. If you only use it for a short time it should be no problem.

Make sure to follow the instructions given to you about what, when to eat or drink.

Watch out for a "dry socket" been there and done that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif If you get one and believe me, you will know if you do, the remedy is quite simple, get some Oil of Cloves...at the drug store soak a small piece of cotton ball with it and put it in the open hole.

Hang in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: ****Disclaimer***I am not a Doctor and I have never played one on TV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

matthewdanger

Enlightened
I have a tip: Go by yourself a new flashlight as soon as you feel up to it.

Seriously though, hang in there!

Joel

Newly Enlightened
If you have any natural health food stores in your area get some Homeopathic "Arnica." It will do wonders for the bruising and help you heal in no time. I had all four out at once, used just extra strength Tylenol and was back eating solid food in less than a week. Be sure to keep your mouth clean - gargle with warm salt water or some diluted hydrogen peroxide. You can also use "Glyoxide" which is nothing more than hydrogen peroxide in a gel form - it tends to stay put a bit longer. Everyone heals on their own time table but in a week or two you'll be back in the swing of things.
Best regards,
Joel

mckevin

Enlightened
Given the same "I'm not a doctor" disclaimer as Beamhead;
Oxycodone is habit forming as opposed to addicting. If you have an addictive type personality you may run in to some issues, otherwise I would be very comfortable in taking it. I have taken it up to 6 months at a time after several shoulder surgeries and it was no problem at all to stop when it was time.
'Course, then I developed an allergy to the stuff, but that's another thread...

dtsoll

Enlightened
If you don't have any addiction problems, taking the oxy as prescribed should be safe. I couldn't take it now, but back in the day when I was gobbling anything and everything and drinking like a fish I had my wisdom teeth taken out. Percodan was prescribed and I went through em like a knife through hot butter, I'm sure I called for more!!!! Man, I don't miss those days at all, thank God!!!!!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was prescribed Vicatin by my oral surgeon.

The Vicatin worked very good for about 2 hrs. and then I would feel pain again. I had to take the Vicatin every 4 hrs.

I had all 4 widom teeth pulled at one time.

I hope everything goes ok. I remember the first day being the toughest.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you lost your wisdom.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hear that eating icecream helps.

AlexGT

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I hope the pain subsides. I've had a couple of wisdom teeth taken out but I was fortunate to experience only mild discomfort afterwards. I do recall that an occasional gargle with warm saltwater helps. Good luck.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I just got mine out about 3 weeks ago, and I'm doing great.

Did you have a surgeon or dentist do it? All 4 of mine were taken from me under general anesthesia. 3 came out relatively easy, 1 had grown in on it's side and was trickier.

Just hang in there. The first few days are the toughest, but then things start to progress much quicker. Don't be afraid to take the pain pills, that's what they're there for, but don't feel like you have to use them all either. Let your pain be your guide. I was prescribed Lortab (Tylenol with Codene) and took it for a few days, then just took a half a dose for another day or 2, and then just went to straight Tylenol. I still have several left in the bottle...point being that if you just let pain be your guide to taking them you should be fine.

My surgeon also prescribed a (nasty) anti-bacterial mouth wash which I was to use for the first week. I think it really helped since your brushing will be, shall we say, lackluster for a bit. If you have not been prescribed anything like that it might be a good idea to gently rinse with some salt water.

I had mine taken on a Monday and Friday I was at the dentist to get fitted for 2 crowns. Boy was that fun! I thought for sure I would end up with at least 1 dry socket, but I was just fine.

Mostly I would just say relax, take it easy, eat what you feel like eating so long as your teeth are also comfortable eating it, and don't hesitate to take a pain medication that, although potentially habit forming, was prescribed for you for this very purpose.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
you will not become dependent on the oxycodone because they wont give you enough for that to happen. If you've got more then 3 or 4 days worth I'd be very surprised. And you'll only want it for 1 or 2 anyway. after a while it will start making you feel sick, but not in a day or 2 and the effects are wonderful the first day or so.

Take it, it will help you sleep which will help you get better sooner.

Also Ryans suggestion for rinsing very gently with salt water, or even just regular water is excellent. Any wound in the mouth will heal faster with regular irrigation. Just be gentle, as it's healing the new tissue will be much more sensitive and fragile!

Take the pill!