Is Arnica worth it?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have experience good or bad with the Homeopathic drug Arnica, in cream or pill form?

I just recently (two days ago) had orthoscopic knee surgery to repair a torn ACL and remove some cartilage. They also removed a mass from my ankle that turned out to be a tumor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Anyway, a friend recommended Arnica cream for my sore knee before surgery, but would the pills help the healing process now? My leg is all bandaged up and has a big metal brace so I can't put anything directly on the leg. I'm not supposed to remove any of the bandages or brace until Monday.

I'm currently taking Vicadin in the morning and afternoon, and then switch Tylenol in the evening and at night. The Vicadin wasn't letting me sleep or um... perform other daily bodily functions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I'm going to ask the doctor about Arnica on Monday, I just wanted to see if there was any opinions here first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wmpwi

Enlightened
At the risk of pissing off a bunch of folks, it's been my observation that homeopathic practices are almost as effective as swinging a dead chicken over your head during a full moon. Hey, but your doc will probably tell you that anyway.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Billy, I do not know about Arnica. I have used homeopathic treatments a time or three with some results that were positive. When you are ailing anything is worth a try (to a point) I hope you get better real fast.
Charley: I will send you a PM as to training and instruction
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
I'm not familiar with Arnica. I'm vaguely familiar with the concepts involved with homeopathic remedies, and the theory behind it. The theory has as much basis as most practices that are labeled pseudo-science. You'll find support from some people, but not from those that are generally regarded as the more credible sources.

My own recommendation would be to follow through on your plans to check with your doctor, instead of us. We'll give you mixed messages, with the bulk being based on little tangible evidence beyond asking you to accept our word and opinions. If you ask your doctor, and he/she doesn't recognize the treatment, I'd take that as a no.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tree. It would not do anything for immediate pain relief but I have had positive results with Glucossamine/Chondroitin in alleviating the symptoms of an old knee injury. I am the biggest cynic when it comes to herbs and have tried quite a few but this really worked for me. It may be worth looking into for longer term recovery.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I figured the responses would be a mixed bag. Just looking to see if anyone tried it. Right now rest and Acedominiphin are my biggest allies.