5D Brinkman LED mod focus problems

wicked1

Newly Enlightened
I just got done doing my first LED mod with a Luxeon and I am having problems. I used a heatsink I bought in a group buy a while back not the hotlips but the one very similar that centered the LED better. The flashlight I am using is an old Brinkmann Mag wannabe. It is the same diameter and length as a maglite but the head is a couple mm smaller in diameter. The heatsink fit fine (read snug) and I modified the switch assembly no problem. It lights up a nice green tint white now (TX1J) powered by 4 D and a dummcy cell with a 1 ohm resistor inside. The problem I am having is I cant get a spot beam flood only due to the reflector not able to get close enough to the LED. If I could get the reflector down another 1/4 inch it focuses great but I cant. The head is tapered inside preventing this. I already tried a mag head and the threads are different. My minipro mag out does this big light 10 times over. I want the throw of my minimag in this light. What are my options>? Can I take a 27mm or 20mm reflector and epoxy it to the LED sink once I get it to a nice tight spot and just scrap the brinkmann reflector totally? I need a new lens as well as this plastic one is all scratched to hell. Its my work light that I bought in 1999. The lens is a little bit smaller than my mag85's as I tried that already. Should I use an optic of some sort? All ideas welcome as I really want this light to throw not flood. I am a security guard and I use my light mainly for lighting things up in the distance. My minimag with 20 mm relfector and minipro light engine does the trick but I wanted the big light for its inherent self defense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif properties.
Thanks alot.

wicked1

Newly Enlightened
would a carlco 26.5mm 4 degree optic and holder be a viable option? Whats the difference between optics and reflectors in use wise I know that they work differently but not sure how.