Newbie - need help deciding on MiniMag sandwich

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at the sandwich shoppe for the brightest sandwich I could find, but still run Nimh AA's or even alkalines if necessary. I think I want the Nexgen BB 750 with TWOJ, but there are other sandwiches to choose from also: BB500 with TX1J, Nexgen500 TWOJ. Also, why couldn't I just get the step-up converter board, and put the led on myself. wouldn't it be cheaper? Do any of these run too hot to use with the stock reflector? If so, where can I get a different reflector.

rikvee

Enlightened
My brightest sandwich is a UYOJ on a Lambda MiniPro pill , but I'm pretty sure it draws a lot more current than the also very bright RYOJ 1W MadmaxLite from the Sandwich Shoppe.
If you like to run 2x1.5V instead of the 4.2V 1AA sized 14500 Li-Ion (as I have in my cut-down MiniMags), the MadMax will help you flatten your battery to the last drop...
Metal reflectors are helpful in the hotwired incandescent Mags, but led's don't seem to melt anything...

Oh yeah, welcome to CPF, Gonzo!

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Re: Newbie - need help deciding on MiniMag sandwic

If you want to go for absolute brightness, then BBNG750 is the thing for you. It can run on Alkaline, but the runtime will be really short (less than 1/2 hour?) and visually you will not see much big difference between BBNG500 and BBNG750 when they are used for practicality(given the same optics).

Personally, I'd recommend BBNG500 over 750 unless since I think the trade off of more than half the runtime for a 10-20% of visual brightness is not what I would personally like.

As for the sammie, yes, you could definitely build one yourself and you could probably find plenty of resources here as how to build one. I would also suggest to check out my humble Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Modding for details.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened

Runtime is something I didn't think about. I will be using it every day for at least 1 hour. Thanks for your replys. I think I will be better off with the BB500. Just curious, what would the runtime be with the BB750 and Nimh's?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Get one with a 3W and a reflector. I've never found an Optic I liked better. And only very lately have I seen 1W that are actually white.

Save yourself some grief!

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Get one with a 3W and a reflector

[/ QUOTE ] What do you mean by a reflector? I was just going to use the Mag reflector. Can I get a better one somewhere?

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got a NG750 w/TWOJ sandwich from the Sandwich Shoppe, and it is bright! I really happy with it. I'm not really concerned about runtime, and alkalines are cheap, so I went with the 750. I also ordered the 17mm IMS reflector, but am not using it. I found that the reflector from my Terralux Ministar 2 fits absolutely perfect without the need for any additional o-rings. You can purchase the reflector that comes with the Ministar 2 on the Terralux website (not sure what it's called). It's basically a modded stock mag reflector. On Aurorites dummy guide he tells how to mod the reflector yourself. (by sand the bottom down). The opening on the Terralux reflector couldn't be any more precise of a fit. I also found that the 17mm IMS fits with the Terralux Ministar2 drop in without cutting the legs off the bottom.

Also, it works with Nimh batteries Alkalines (and lithiums 1.7v).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Gonzo said:
[ QUOTE ]
Get one with a 3W and a reflector

[/ QUOTE ] What do you mean by a reflector? I was just going to use the Mag reflector. Can I get a better one somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry! When I mentioned 3W and Reflector, I was thinking of my Lambda drop in which came with a modded M*g reflector. I THINK the Sandwitch Shoppe has something like the Lambda, but I'm nowhere near sure...

TomBrown

Newly Enlightened

Will the NG750 regulate reliably with NiMH cells?

From the specs, it looks like it would not.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
rikvee said:
My brightest sandwich is a UYOJ on a Lambda MiniPro pill , but I'm pretty sure it draws a lot more current than the also very bright RYOJ 1W MadmaxLite from the Sandwich Shoppe.
If you like to run 2x1.5V instead of the 4.2V 1AA sized 14500 Li-Ion (as I have in my cut-down MiniMags), the MadMax will help you flatten your battery to the last drop...
Metal reflectors are helpful in the hotwired incandescent Mags, but led's don't seem to melt anything...

Oh yeah, welcome to CPF, Gonzo!

[/ QUOTE ]

I must agree on the madmax. The minimum Vin voltage is very low so the runtime is very long. I can say so since I own one. I dont have nor do I need a NG 750 (yet) since the madmax runs on both 1.5v and 3v but if you are only going to use 3v, then I suggest the NG 750 which puts out more light at 3v than the madmax does.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the NG500 and use a reflector. It's a really nice light combo with the MM and nimh cells. The extra runtime between charges is nice, but it's also a much cooler running critter. Burns of 15 mins+ hardly generate any heat to speak of, and you're being kind to the lux. In short, use the heck out of it for as long as you like.