almost choked to death just now

turbodog

Flashaholic
Boy, talk about being glad to be alive.

I've got some kind of lung infection going on, complete with the nasty yellow crap (yuck).

Well..... about 2:30 a.m. I awoke SUDDENLY to find that I could not breath.

If I tried with all my might I could force a teaspoon of air up and down, not enough to live on but enough to know that there was *some* hope. (I hoped).

After struggling for what seemed like forever, I finally started to make some headway. I took about 5 loooooooong minutes for me to fully regain normal breathing again.

I'm thinking that a chunk of yellow crap triggered the flap of skin (epiglottis?) to close over my windpipe.

So, right now, methinks I will be staying awake the rest of the night until the local DR office opens. After all, I'm WIDE awake now.

Really did freak my wife out though... me thrashing about, unable to talk, making strange noises.

Blinocac200sx

Newly Enlightened
I have astmha and had all sorts of infections and stuff growing up and actually know that feeling. It sucks.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you want to wait till office hours in the emergency waiting room or out in the car with your wife (if not check in)?

I don't have any insight other than you want as little time as possible between another event and help...

-Bill

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BB said:
Maybe you want to wait till office hours in the emergency waiting room or out in the car with your wife (if not check in)?

-Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Bill has a good idea!

You might not wake up next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
get better dude maybe try to sit in bathroom with shower running u dont sit in shopwer and have water hoy running in shpwer but u dont go in shower just in bathroom so u breath this water but have wife nhear bye case u pass out i think u got pyamoninia but im no dr if i was u id call 911

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ekk i make no sence i want ya to breath in steam not water

stringj

Newly Enlightened
Nothing seems wrong with your sense of humor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Hope you are better soon.
Jerry

greenLED

Flashaholic
Glad you're OK!

I choked on some cookie crumbles once... not something I'd like to relive. The story ends with me desperately throwing myself against the back edge of a chair in an attempt to Heimlich myself (or was I passing out and half collapsed on the chair? I'll never know, and I don't want to think about it.) It is the first time that I've really lost total control of myself and gone on full automatic survival mode... scary.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My mom once gave me the sign she couldn't breathe, luckily I was there as dad didn't pay attention and I gave her a push in the lower part of her chest trying to approximate the heimlich maneuver and it worked, she spit up a chunk of weiner that got stuck. I suggest you and your wife learn this if you don't already know it incase either of you get something stuck in your throat.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Glad you made it through the night, Turbodog. Like the Lung Association's saying goes, when you can't breathe, nothing else matters.

I had that happen to me a long time ago when I had pneumonia. I had so much gunk in my lungs and throat that at one point my airway got almost completely plugged! What a panicky feeling that was.

I was able to cough up most of the gunk after spending several hours sitting over a pot of boiling hot vicks vaporub and water. Something about those strong fumes and steam that loosened everything up and enabled me to cough it out. I hope there's never a next time for you, but if there is this might be helpful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Turbo it sounds like you won't need that big stud of a zero turning mower any longer. I say that out of concern for you of course. The dust and pollen it kicks up might be bad for you. I'm going to head your way this weekend and haul that bad old thing off for you. I know of a place I can store it and where it will get proper exercise. You can thank me later, save your strength. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif