Light Emitting Capacitor ?

Amonra

Enlightened
I stumbled onto this yesterday Ceelite
they call it a light emitting capacitor or LEC.
After a little searching i found this flatlite they call it Electroluminescent or EL panels.

Im a bit confused since they seem like the same thing to me but the LEC is marketed as a new technology whereas EL is much older technology.

Ceelite panels light intensity is between 50 cd/m and 300 cd/m
Flatlite panels light intensity is between 18 and 22 footlamberts for the white ones

can cd/m be converted to footlamberts for a proper comparison.

also ceelite advertise a longer life but does not state the actual number of hours while flatlite lifetime is between 2,500 and 20,000 hours.

are these two products the same thing with different names ? or they are actully different in some way ?

the reason why im asking these questions is that white panels can be very useful for shop signage and bilboards but the expected lifetime is a concern. paying around $2,000 for a shop sign which fails after 1 year is not exactly a good thing.

Vbeez

Enlightened
Definetely the same thing. EL works like capacitor. EL sheet panels consist of front electrode-phosphor-layers of dielectric-rear electrode. Other fellow cpfer maybe can explain more about it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This looks like EL with a newer phosphor mix. Interesting but technically not "new." If you look closely at the first picture of the woman holding the small panel, you'll see that her face is illuminated by an overhead light fixture, not by the sheet as they're trying pretty hard to make it appear to be. This suggests to me that they're a little bit brighter than standard EL but not by as much as the ad copy implies.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ceelite website is deceptive. Don't trust it. The homepage and automotive sections are masterpieces of half truths and misdirection. EL panels have been around a while and lots of people make them. There is an EL forum here at candlepower, although it is lightly used. You might be able to pick up a panel here, or on eBay, or just out on the web. Google for EL panel or electroluminescent panel.

For $2,000 you could probably commision a magnificent sign from someone here.

I think the Lytec people invented EL wire. They're in Israel which is not that far from you:

http://www.elam.co.il/index.asp

The brightness and life expectancy of any EL item will vary according to how hard you run it. You run it harder it gets brighter, but wears out quicker. You can also dim, brighten, or flash them if the power supply is built for it.

I should also mention that EL products are unimpressive by daylight.

Amonra

Enlightened
Thanks but cn anyone convert cd/m into footlamberts or vice versa just to have a decent comparison ?

Lytec do not do EL panels

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Hmmm... One time we had a ripple current problem with one of our designs. The high frequency current was so high the steel leads of the axial capacitor would glow orange and then burn in two. We had a light emitting cap before anyone else!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
StanTeate said:
Is this the same stuff that is put on some watches for night light?

[/ QUOTE ]

On some, yes. The Timex Indiglo is EL.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
UncleFester said:
The high frequency current was so high the steel leads of the axial capacitor would glow orange and then burn in two. We had a light emitting cap before anyone else!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Also known as a confetti generator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
KEN TYE said:
Duh , its called a " FLUX CAPACITOR" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and there's only one model and it fits an '83 DeLorean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif