Spooky ARC AAA ...

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
it works ... sometimes fine and sometimes not at all. It doesn´t flicker, it simply didn´t work for a long time. I cleaned all the contacts, when it was dead, no effect. I supplied 1.5V directly to the contacts on the PCB under the foam washer, no effect.

strange ... I used a "contact cleaner" (removes oxide layers), put the ARC AAA-P back (tight) together and laid it on my desk. 10 minutes later it turned on on its own! It worked then fine, I could switch it on and off. Another 20 minutes later it´s dead again ... wtf ???

I heard of flickering ARC AAAs ... but not of this behaviour. Anybody an idea what´s wrong with it?

I think, I´ll give Peak a chance ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
How old is your ArcAAA? When did you buy it?

Sounds alot like the chip problem. Have you read the Arc Maintainance thread? Try the Arc Flashlight forum you'll get more replies.

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
I bought it "new" in June 2004 from a german dealer, therefore my guess is it was produced in first quarter 2004. It´s labeled only "ARC-P", a relativly new modell, I think.

Some time ago, I´ve read about these chip failures, but assumed that this concerns only older versions ...

atm, the light is working again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ... if it fails again, I´ll disassemble it and try the Arc Flashlight forum.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
rantanplan, I bet is a dirty contact problem. From the symtoms you describe, it does not sound like the chip problem that affected a batch of AAA lights a couple of years ago. Some battery corrosion is harder to clean that it looks. We can take care of it. Please send the light in and we will clean the contacts for you. If that doesn't fix it, we will replace it. This is a pretty standard method.

Anyone else who has questions along this line should read the Arc forum. Problems that may sound impossible already have standard procedures in place.

Peter