Help me spend money. Looking for something bright

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
I've decided to forego buying another 2-cell pocket-sized light for now...
I would like to get something bright and would like some opinions...
Tigerlight?
Mag 85 or Mag 74?
Surefire M4? M6? (I wouldn't drop the cash for a new M6, but a used one might fit in the budget)

How bright are the Mag 74/85 when compared to the M4/M6? Are these comparable even?
Are there other lights I should be considering? in the under <$300 range?

Thank you,
Gabe

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gabe,

The TigerLight is a great light, and it can be upgraded to 500 or even 800 lumens, although at the moment I am too busy with M6-R and USL projects to do the 2nd build run to offer these upgrades. But certainly in the next 6 months, they will be available. And even stock, the TigerLight is a nice light.

The mag mods are cheaper and can certainly be brighter than the stock TL, and if you want to get into modding, are a good idea. FiveMega and Ginseng are the masters of the mag mods, so do a search on their usernames with the "main posts only" radial button selected, and you will get some great info and probably some signup threads (with FM)

The SureFire lights are really in a class of their own, and I highly recommend them, even if you have super-bright mag mods or what-not. The lumens ratings of the SF lights are very conservative. I would say that an M6, for example, is putting out 630 lumens instead of the rated 500. This means that short of a Mag85 or Tiger85 or USL, that there is no mag mod or MC mod brighter than it. Plus it is a masterpiece of engineering and a true joy to use and behold.

Also, you could get a stock MagCharger and drop in a Welch Allyn 01160 and have a 450+ lumen light for just over $100. Great bang for the buck! Here is my review of the Tiger11 and MC60.

But mostly, we need to know more specifics concerning what you like and dislike and what use you intend to put these light to. MORE INFO! Give us more info and we will give you more precise recommendations.

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
MagCharger with WA 01160 sounds pretty tempting, and cheap enough I could still get something else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm looking for some measure of reliability with good performance. So, no running the edgiest,brightest mods for me.

Decent runtime, I'd like 60 minutes, but I realize that with many of the mods, shorter times are more common.
I'm tempted to try for a used M6, but they come up for sale so rarely...
I think mc60 for now and keep my eyes open for M6...
-Unless someone would offer other suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gabe

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gabe, js hit it, more info. Like details, how will you use this light? What size are you good for? A MC is fairly large, like a 3D Mag, while the Tigelright 8" FBOP model is well shorter than a 2D Mag, but the 11" OC model gives you a OC dispensing capability.

I have both the Surefire M6 (worth every penny) and a stock Tigerlight. I will be looking at the Tigerlight mods once that kicks up again, maybe pay js a personal vist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (can you say road trip during spring break!)

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
Jason... thanks for emphasizing the size issue. I guess I thought they were of similar size in my head.
Since I'd like to actually carry a bright light sometimes, smaller would mean I would actually be more inclined to carry... I think the Tigerlight would be better... I would get the FBOP version.. then I can stash it in a shoulder bag more easily... (Maxpedition Fatboy -S)
Then like you, I could look at Tigerlight mods in the future...

Uses? Camping, maybe some geocaching that runs late after sunset..., bicycle headlight (just kidding!), maybe take it caving to light up the big rooms.

thanks,
Gabe
(p.s. -sell me your M6!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gabe, Yeah the MC can be a bit large (got to handle one of the MP's at the local Army base.)

I tried carrying the SF M6 in a Blackhawk holster one time, not easy unless you have really big clothes. The holster also works with the 8" Tigerlight.

Camping, if you have access to electricity, then a rechargable like the Tigerlight or MC can be options, but usually not. A SF M6 with an SC2 works well for me, got a spare set of batteries and spare bulb if something does go wrong. But usually in dark conditions a bright light wouldn't be used very often. A 2 or 3 cell LED light like the U2 would be good in those situation. A lot more practical because of multiple brightness settings and the less bright setting you put it on, the longer the run time (my U2 is my go to 2 cell light, traded my E2e and sold my L2 because of it.)

GiveMeLight

Newly Enlightened
All good points Jason.
I already have surefire L4 and E1L, couple different Nuwai, Brinkmann, Eternalight, etc. -I'm pretty well set for camping already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif -I do like the U2 and A2 models, but I'm putting those off for now at least as I'm usually wanting either very bright or very dim lighting. I really don't think I would use 6 levels of light, but who knows? that's half the fun of this hobby is trying different models to see what is most suitable to my needs/usage habits.
As you mentioned, having a light that runs on primaries -at least when camping- would be better than a charger system.
I do like to run all my lights with primaries. Makes them more flexible as far as power dependencies go.
Darnit, you keep tempting/teasing me with your M6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I don't think I can swing a new one, but if I can find a used one, I may have to impulsively buy it!

Gabe

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me spend money. Looking for something bri

Costco HID light. They don't get much brighter, or cheaper, than that.

Just put a heavy duty chain on it - it will make a great, "real man" EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help me spend money. Looking for something bri

Learn to make a Mag85. Even I was able to figure it out with a little help. Its a piece of cake, and makes a dagnab bright light that will scare the neighbors. In the alternative, just buy one from Juancho or the other folks who sell them from time to time. You really need a Mag85.

PM me for the recipe, if you need to.

best regards