surefire newbie questions

Tique

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking about picking up a Surefire for a Christmas present to myself... then when I started looking at them I got lost in all the info. It appears to me that the E2, M2, D2, C2, etc. are all basically what I'm wanting size wise, but they vary a bit in price, and I don't really see the differences as the use the same batteries, and have about the same light output, other than the M2 appears to be the biggest badass of that size range. I am looking for one of them for an EDC light that can handle being beat on a bit and has some water resistance, as I tend to spend a good amount of time outdoors, especially at work in the spring/summer. It would probably be carried in a cargo pocket during summer time, and in a jacket pocket in the winter. It could also be carried on my belt, as more and more thing seem to be finding their way there lately.

I also looked at the 8AX commander... this looks to have more power and the rechargable batteries look to save a good deal of cash if used much... would this be a better piece to use outdoors than one of the 2 cell models?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The M2 is a very robust light.

The D2 plus the KR2 Kit (rechargeable conversion kit). This way you have both the lithium option and rechargeable option.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Am new to this too. Just bought an E2 and a 8AX HA.
E2 fits really well in front shirt pocket or pants pocket.

I have pictures of both the E2 and the 8AX
compared to a mini-maglight for size.
how do I post them ?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Tique,
Sent you 2 jpg to look at.
Hope it helps.

Rich

Tique

Newly Enlightened
Rich,

Thanks for the pics, those do help a lot with size comparison.

I think I like the idea of having both the 8AX as well as one of the 2 cell models as opposed to having one with both battery options... allows 2 light versitility as well, since if everything I have heard is true, I doubt that I will end up with just one SureFire.

SurefireM6

Enlightened
It depends on what you want to do with the light. The E2 is very small for Every Day Carry. But as of yet, there are very few options for it.

The 6P/C2/D2/M2 etc have interchangable parts as well as many accessories such as shock isolated bezels, high output lamps, lockout tailcap, turbo head assembly, many different holster types, easily changable lens (Except the M2).

See this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000949

If size is important to you, the E2 is perfect. If options are important the the 6P/D2/C2 will be good. For the ultimate light that can withstand almost anything, it's the M2.