Coast 16 led light (Initial Impressions)

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
Initial impressions :The flashlight is made entirely of aluminum and is comletely smooth -no ridges,groves,or anything at all to help you keep hold of it. Don't even loom at this light if your hands are wet or slippery! It's slippery even when it and your hands are completely dry. The aluminum is also VERY shiny The light uses 3 C cells (none are included)With the batteries installed this light feels very hefty. When you install your first set of batteries you will see something I have never even heard of before :Instead of a spring in the tailcap to maintain contact with the batteries there is instead an aluminum rod. There is some kind of spring (or something) inside the tailcap keeping pressure on the rod - A lot of pressure ! Putting the tailcap back on after installing the batteries is a real pain. You almost have to push the body of the light against something with one hand while the other hand screws in the tailcap. It feels like it would be pretty easy to screw it in out of line. The lioght uses 16 led's which are recessed into the barrell enough to protect them from anything other than deliberate tampering. The switch is very good. You have to actually want to turn the light on - just tapping the button won't do it. The switch is a reverse clicky :It turns on on the up-stroke. Some one (I don't remember who) posted earlier that this wasn't a bright flashlight but I'm gonna have to disagree. The beam is very broad and it will light up an entire room from the door. There is a bit of a blue tint to the beam - not obnoxious but it is noticeable. This is one of those light you do not want to shine into your face close up. I tried it from about to feet away with the lights on and saw spots for five minutes. I would say it's definitely brighter than a 1 watt probobly approaching 3 watt territory. I haven't done any kind of run time tests yet and I haven't let it run long enough yet to see if it gets hot or not but judging by what I've seen so far I would be very surprised if it even got warm. All in all a very satisfied user. By the way I think he had afew more left last time I checked.The head screws off and the bezel screws off but there doesn't seem to be any way to get at the led's.

detail

detail

detail

Last edited: