Cartridge Collection ---- Thanks to CPF Members !!

jtice

Flashaholic
I didnt know whether to post this here,
or the CHEERS SECTION !!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

About a month ago I posted here on CPF, about starting a cartidge colloection.
I quickly got alot of replies filled with excellent information.
And even offers to send me some cartidges to get my collection started !
Before I knew it, I have a pile of the most interesting ammunition I have ever seen.
Everything from tiny little eraser sized rounds, shotgun shells, large hunting rifle,
assult rifles, handguns, to tank busting 30mm rounds.
and some I have no idea what they would go in.

Alittle over 135 cartidges were sent to me over the coarse of the last few weeks.
This is simply amazing. though not surprising.
CPF Members have shown their kindness and generosity since the cay I joined this forum.
I can grow to be an old withered man, with no interest in lights what so ever,,,,
and I would still visit this forum for its members alone.
I have made many friends here, and hope to make many more.

Enough mushy stuff !
Lets get to the AMMO !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Heres a few shots of the Colloection. as of 8-18-05
Full size images here: Catridge Collection Gallery

IMG_1231.sized.jpg

IMG_1233.sized.jpg

IMG_1241.sized.jpg

IMG_1244.sized.jpg

IMG_1250.sized.jpg

IMG_1238.sized.jpg

... ... ... I love you guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif

~John

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Re: Cartridge Collection ---- Thanks to CPF Member

Pull some cordite out of one of those .303 rounds yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Larry

Topper

Flashaholic*
Tell me about those itty bitty 12gauge rounds I think thats what they are. Who, where, what, I already know the when and the why. Will the cycle in a pump and /or auto??? Why would I want them to??/HELP
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Top,

They're from Aguila. ("Remington of Mexico") They are available in shot, slug, and buckshot. They won't feed in my 870 and most/all? autoloaders/pumps without major mods to the gun. I *think* JimH provided them to John. If the '03 Springfield fired the .30-06, (.30 cal of 1906) what did it shoot from 1903-1906? John has a sample. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Very nice collection. I am sorry that I missed your first post about this.

jtice

Flashaholic

Larry, no i havent got a chace to try that yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

something tells me I should wear my welding mask and gloves when I do though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Topper, I am sure Larry explained it better than I could,,,
this is the first of them I have seen, really neat huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

loalight, yes, Gret work CPF !

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great job. I, too, wish I'd seen your earlier post.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hmm.. Topper wonders as he blows the dust off his Ithica model 37 featherlight thats older than he is. Why did Topper ever sell that Mossberg 500???? Oh well such is life.
To get back on track I doubt I have any rounds that you do not already have. I have sold most of my guns years past as I do not use them much. At present a few .22's rifle and a couple pistols or if your particular about words then one pistol one single action revolver. .38 special (sp?) revolver .357 magnum 9mm 30-06 and a few Blackpowder guns .50 ,.45 .44 so I doubt I have anything you need for your collection if I did I would gladly send you some. I might need to buy a few of them little bitty 12gauge shells just to see if they will work in a zillion year old Ithica.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

"something tells me I should wear my welding mask and gloves when I do though " A black powder round, yes! Cordite, no. It looks like spaghetti, but is nitrocellulose. You can hold it between your fingers and light the end. (Yeah, drop it when the flame gets close. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) If you light it with less than a flame (cigarette) it can sort of smolder, and emit firing-line incense aroma. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Topper said:
Tell me about those itty bitty 12gauge rounds I think thats what they are. Who, where, what, I already know the when and the why. Will the cycle in a pump and /or auto??? Why would I want them to??/HELP

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry already told you what they are, so here's why you might want them. First, it's easy to grab a couple fistfuls and throw them in your pocket if you have to get moving in a hurry. Its easy to carry a lot of rounds with you.

They are loaded to the same pressure levels as regular 12 ga ammo - just less shot.

Although the national 10 round limit has been recended in the rest of the country, California is keeping its own 10 round limit law on the books. I can load 14 of those guys in the tube of my Winchester Defender plus one in the chamber. Nobody's going to tell you that a gun you can buy at Big 5 is illegal.

As has been stated, forget about using them in a semi-auto. Some pump shotguns will need minor modifications to cycle them. Winchester pump shotguns will cycle them just fine without any modification.

When I received my ammo in the mail (UPS actually), the first word that came to mind is one you would never expect when describing 12 ga ammo - "cute".

loalight

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
tvodrd said:
"something tells me I should wear my welding mask and gloves when I do though " A black powder round, yes! Cordite, no. It looks like spaghetti, but is nitrocellulose. You can hold it between your fingers and light the end. (Yeah, drop it when the flame gets close. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) If you light it with less than a flame (cigarette) it can sort of smolder, and emit firing-line incense aroma. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmm, cordite. good clean fun! Just stay away from the fulminates in the primers, those are quite deserving of respect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MoonRise

Enlightened
Re: Cartridge Collection - 30-06 question

Larry,

The '03 Springfield's original cartridge was the .30-03, occasionally also called the .30-45 because the original loading was 45 grains of smokeless. The .30-03 had a .30 caliber 220 grain round nose bullet loaded to 2300 fps. In 1906 the round was changed to use a 150 grain flat-base spitzer at 2700 fps and the case neck was shortened by 0.07 inch. The .30-06 cartridge can chamber and be fired in rifles chambered for either the .30-03 or .30-06 cartridges, but the .30-03 round might not chamber in a rifle with a .30-06 chamber due to the case neck length difference.

Then the round was tweaked in 1926 to use a 172 grain spitzer with a 9 degree boattail and was called the "Ball, caliber .30, M1". Original muzzle velocity was 2700 fps, same as the 150 grain loading, but was shortly reduced to 2640 fps due to pressure issues at the higher velocity. Then in 1940 the loading was changed back to the 150 grain flat-base spitzer as the "Cartridge, Ball, caliber .30, M2", in part due to usage in the M1 Garand semi-auto rifle. This is the round used in WW2.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Cartridges of the World" is great.