After dark flashlight delivery

TorchMan

Enlightened
In what has to be the latest delivery ever (including Christmas) my Gladius has arrived.

Installing the batteries was only a bit tricky, from reading here and the .pdf, I was able to do it fairly quickly. Good thing too, I would have been flabergasted otherwise. And the .pdf was unavailable too.

I've already used all three chanels. It's still on the default of turning on brightest and lowering with constant push. Two clicks to brighten the light is working well for me.

Nice tight spot with good side spill. Mostly circular hotspot, not problems for me. I'm going to do comparisons with my U60 and T4, but this may be the whitest Luxeon yet. I'll see about throw later tonight. It is whiter than the T4. About as bright, I can't tell from looking at them on the white wall I bagged which is brighter.

Thanks to all who gave me advice on buying this light, and all who posted on it and passed it around.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I've changed modes in the light. I now have it set to come on at the lowest (mode 2). It was fairly easy to do. It will not two click to hightest brightness though, I must hold down and ramp up.

It's been intermitant trying to two click it. It turns the light off and on, and sometimes I have to go round the channels to get it to come on at all. I've reinstalled the batteries and tail cap. It was not as easy the second time as the first. I can understand some of the frustration comments. I wonder if it won't double click to full brightness in mode 2? It did fine in mode 1.

It hasn't been extremely frustrating yet, but it hasn't been as smooth as the HDS EDC operation. I thought this one would be simpler too!

It does have a good, balanced feel in the hand. Finish seems good too_Okay, I reinstalled the cap again. Now it's back in mode 1, working good. I can switch channels without any intermitment stoppage. Maybe I didn't have it on right the second time?

I can again two click to go from dim to brightest. I know others had the same problem with it not two clicking to brightest. I wonder if anyone remembers what mode they were in?

Feels good just to have it seeming to work right. Whew!

TorchMan

Enlightened
I've been operating the Gladius without any failures. One thing though; It will not two click to brightest from any mode but mode 1. I'll dig through the old thread and see exactly, but I'm almost positve some of you couldn't get it to do that. I'm gonna email Night Ops about it, see if it only does it in mode 1. Only seems to turn it off and on in mode 2, unless it's reversed and instantly takes it to dimmest. Mode 3 does the same though. It's easy to two click to brightest in mode 1, go figure.j I like Mode 1 the best anyway.

It throws like my T4, about the same range. Maybe a very slight edge to the T4. Hot spot is a bit smaller on the Gladius, but it has a larger spillbeam. They are about as bright, maybe a slight edge to the T4 again.

Gladius might have the slightest of yellow tints. It's whiter than the T4 and U60 (which is blueish in the spillbeam, and very slightly in the hotspot). The Gladius adjust down nicely, but the U60 keeps better tint at low levels, Gladius goes a bit green. Still usefull though.

I really like the ergonomics of he Gladius. So light and secure in the hand. Really comfortable in an overhand grip. Won't roll if set down.

Finish on mine is nice, only two small scratches around the B in Black Hawk. We'll see how it lasts.

The switch. Ah, the switch. It is nowhere near what my HDS EDC is. I love the EDC switch I'm not against plastic or polymers, I know they can be better than metal at times. This one on the Gladius seems like a flimsy switch. It doesn't have the best feedback. Or at least I'm not used to it yet. And that tailcap thing is gonna take some getting used to as well. It made me feel like an idiot. Maybe I am but the HDS hasn't done that in any way.

I love the Gladius, in spite of the whining about a few things. It's going on a holster and everywhere with me. I hope the switch stands the test of time, and that I get used to it and the tailcap housing. I am so glad for all the info here on that, if I hadn't been expecting it and seen rememdies (in threads here and the .pdf explains how diffently than my printed manual) I would really have been, well, kinda spastic.

Oh yeah, the strobe. It does not disorient me to move around with it in my dark house, or outside. I haven't been on the receiving end of it yet, but I will be. I just have to know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif