HDS questions

redduck

Newly Enlightened
Since proton is not going be available, I am thinking about getting a HDS, either B60 or U60. I have a few questions hope HDS owners can answer..
1. Do B60/U60 truly produce 60 lumens? I read some posts stating they are dimmer compare to SF P6, which is rated at 60 lumens.
2. Does the basic model have momentary on capability? My understanding is it doesn't.
3. Does the switch actually "click"? By reading the instructions, it seems it's implied that the switch doesn't actually click, that's why the manual has to define what's a "click".
4. After reading the manual my understanding is the basic model can't be turned on momentary. Is this true?
5. The instruction defines a "press", necessary for momentary on, as a push longer than half second. Does this mean there is a 0.5 second delay for momentary on?

Thanks in advance!

TorchMan

Enlightened
I can answer two of those. Yes, it actually clicks. My U60 is set to mometary on. It comes on as soon as you push, no delay.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
redduck said:
...Do B60/U60 truly produce 60 lumens?...

[/ QUOTE ]Compared to my SL ProPoly Lux 4AA (40 lumens) my U60 seems significantly brighter (at max). When I select brightness level 2 on the U60 (about 42 lumens), it appears somewhat close to the Propoly Lux 4AA in brightness, although even then I'd give the U60 the edge.

In a very crude fashion that seems to indicate the U60 is producing well over 40 lumens and probably at least 60.

My SL TL-3 xenon puts out 200 lumens, vastly more than my U60, but side-by-side it visually appears only somewhat brighter than the U60, not hugely so. Not sure how accurate eyes are for things like this.

The HDS EDC is a great light -- I love mine.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
redduck said:
...Does the basic model have momentary on capability? My understanding is it doesn't...

[/ QUOTE ]
The HDS EDC comparison chart says the basic model doesn't have momentary on:

http://www.hdssystems.com/LightComparison.html

However one reason for using momentary on is limiting battery drain, which the HDS EDC does with variable power settings. So in a sense you need momentary on less (at least for that reason).

My U60 has momentary on capability, but I don't use it that way -- I have no need, plus the switch seems a little stiff for extensive momentary use. Switch has a nice click feel and is flush with the back, but (to my fingers) using it extensively in momentary mode is tiring.

But it's an incredibly cool light, with a very nice beam pattern -- excellent mix between flood and spot.

For me the biggest reason for the Ultimate series is selectable turn-on brightness. At night I like to have mine come on low, rather than come on brighter, then toggle down to low.

Ability to fine tune the brightness of all four settings is also nice but I could live without that. If only the Basic version had selectable turn on brightness I'd not need the Ultimate. I guess each person has their own needs.

redduck

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies! The way I use flash lights, I use momentary on feature most of the time, so I need this capability. I currently EDC a QIII and things I don't like about this light is that it doesn't have momentary on, not enough through and the switch is too stiff. How many of you use rechargeables in your HDS? What's you experiences with it?

aceo07

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
joema said:
But it's an incredibly cool light, with a very nice beam pattern -- excellent mix between flood and spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear. I just ordered the U60 to replace my lost Q3 during a hike. It's nice to see that the HDS will replace the Q3's useful flood and spot.

I chose the U60 over the B60 because I can customize the brightness for the 4 brightness settings. I'd probably want to have 60L, 25L, 10L, 2L. Or something similiar. The other features seem cool too..

I can't wait for mine to arrive! Finally gave in and ordered from batterystation this morning! If anybody find my green Q3 at Kaaterskill Falls, let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This time around I'll make sure to have the U60 roped to me or another big object at ALL times! Losing a flashlight is like dropping $$$..

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
aceo07 said:
...This time around I'll make sure to have the U60 roped to me...

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll love the U60. It's a great light and a cool piece of industrial art, all in one. The low level is much dimmer than the lowest level on a Surefire U2, making it nice for preserving night vision.

You might want to get the optional EDC lanyard ring:
http://advancedtacticaltechnology.com/products/edc214.htm

Hans

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
redduck said:How many of you use rechargeables in your HDS? What's you experiences with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, in both my lights (Basic 42 and Ultimate 42). Rechargeables work great. I may need to buy another light to use up my stock of batteries ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hans

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HDS and rechargeables

I've been using secondary cells (rechargeables) in my Basic 42 for a couple weeks now. I like them rather a lot. Even on maximum, they seem to last a very long time. I couldn't tell you exactly how long, as I've never been patient enough to time them. I've also noticed that on minimum, my B42 does not flicker. It flickered with primary cells, but never with the rechargeables. Go figure.

I too have a small stockpile of CR123 cells. I modded a Mag 2C with a piece of CPVC to take three of them, and popped in a KPR112 lamp. It didn't cost much to build, and throws a helluva long way. I decided that ought to be a good way to use up my disposables. I also still use my Arc LS, and it's good for them too.

redduck

Newly Enlightened

Which rechargeable kit are you guys using, the ones from battery station or HDS? The ones from HDS site are twice as expensive.

Hans

Enlightened

I'm using the ones from Battery Station. They seem fine to me.

Hans

aceo07

Enlightened

Anybody know what's so special about the MP rechargables? On the HDS FAQ, it is stated as lasting for 32minutes at 60L on a non XR EDC 60. However even the Surefire batteries only last for 20minutes at that setting.. What's going on?

Too bad they sell them for $32 a pair else I might be tempted to buy one.