lux increase thanks the U rank nichia leds

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i have some of this new leds, now i will upgrade some of my lights with them and post here how many lux i gain thanks the best efficiency:

first mod

eternalight model 2 classic

standard leds: 35-45 lux range

U rank nichias 170-190 lux range

this mean 400% more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

the reason is because the model 2 have leds produced in around 1998 so they are really inefficient

edit:

test today with a superfresh set of alkaline batts : 210 lux

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
thank you pok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

second mod

eternalight derringer

standard leds: 40-50 lux

U rank: 85-95 lux

is around the double, this mean that the original leds are around the S rank

edit:

try today with a superfresh set of alkaline batts: 120 lux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
third mod

cmg infinity ultra:

standard leds: peak of 37 lux (with a lithium batt)

U rank: peak of 92 lux (lithium batt)

how much is overdrived? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

edit:

78 lux with a half charge ni-mh

83 lux with a fresh alkaline

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably around 60ma drive or so... Was it pretty easy to swap? I need to swap my ArcAAA as I can't aford to pay double what I payed for it for a new rev4!! (but could really use the extra brightness, and that's not my flasholism talking).. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good info.. What's next? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do you have a DorcyAAA to swap & compare?

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i found a old post here on cpf that say 66ma... but with lithiums i think still more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

open the head is very difficult (at lest for me) in fact i have 2 infinity (ultra and standard) but i have break the standard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

first of all you must take off the metal around the circuit board (i have used a lathe for a estetically better work) then press on the led for take out the assembly.

the circuit is totally covered by a sort of black epoxy that can be cut out only if you heat up it. after this is really simple to change the led and close the head. the difficult is to don't break some ciruit component when you cut out the epoxy

don't have any dorcy or arc sorry... my next mod will be a xnova 1AA 8 led

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
fourth mod

XNova 8leds 1AA

increase of output thanks the new U rank nichias:

from 52 to 103 lux with a half discharged ni-mh (leds are really underdrived, i think 5-7ma each)

from 91 to 170 lux with a lithium AA

from 260 to 570 lux with a li-ion AA (is too overdrived but... what a light!!!!)

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
depend on the xnova... some are pressed in, other are screwed in...

the 8 leds and 3 leds are screwed, so just you need to unscrew the upper part or the head (maybe is a bit difficult the first time)

the 5 leds is pressed into the body so you must apply a big pressure into the body (where the + of the battery touch the ciruit board) for take out the head

btw is much simpler than the infinity mod... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Lmtfi

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
davidefromitaly said:
.....btw is much simpler than the infinity mod... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of which - does anyone know where I can find hints on how to disassemble and mod an Ultra G? I have a couple of them that I'd like to do an "over the top" mod on.

Thanks!

Alan

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
David: cool thanks for the info on the Xnova 8 Led. Now I think I might get one and put 360nm UV leds in it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I'll do this instead of taking apart my 5led Xnova that has 395nm UV's. I heard the new 8Led one has higher drive current! My 5led one only pulls 50ma from the battery! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Alan: look above David talked about taking apart an infinity.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you unscrew the 8led one and then how do the leds come out? they just drop out then from the back on a pcb, and the circuit stays in the body maybe?

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it is ~60ma at the LEDs with fresh Energizer AA according to my dmm. I confirmed the test a year or so ago. I am pretty shocked to see Infinity Nichia LED being overdriven that hard.

ArcAAA has Nichia LED at around ~4Xma, both the lights has similiar output. Probably because ArcAAA has better Bin LEDs and cost alot more(it's all worth it!).

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
only 50ma from the batt of your xnova 5led? really low... mine are around 250-300ma and with lithium batts reach the 400ma. maybe they do different version... but mine are quite old... buyed more than 1 year ago.

the leds of the 8led version are soldered on a pcb board, this board is connected to another pcb board (where is the circuit) by 2 wires. between this two boards there is a plastic ring used like a spacer. these parts are glued but is easy to open with a blade...

and...

fifth mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eternalight ergo 3

increase of lux output with U rank nichias (using a fresh set of alkalines):

from 92 to 225 lux at highest setting

from 8 to 20 lux at the dimmest setting with 4 leds on

from 2 to 5-7 lux (depend on the led) at dimmest setting 1 led on

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I re-measured my current yesterday as it didn't seem right. Seems I was catching the anodizd part. 300ma with 1.2 volt NiMH cell.

But how do you get the leds & circuit out of the head after you unscrew it!?! It seems they are pressed in from the front bezel, but it's so tight that if you press on the pcb from the back it will crush!

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
300ma sound good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

here a photo of my 8led dismantled (i use amber leds on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

xnova%208%20led%201%20AA%20amber.jpg

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, wow, the front bezel does unscrew on yours. Most people's it's press fit into the head. Where did you buy yours from?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can one get some of these screamin' a$$ nichia's? and is this the CS line? (please forgive my stupidity on such matter's) I would love to mod a infinity for a much brighter light. I even would like to try a lux mod on an infinity but do lack the knowledge. I might need someone to do this for me. Anyone recommend a member for these smaller simpler mod's? PM if needed. thanks VDG

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
voodoogreg, you echoed my thoughts but was afraid to post. Is this the same CS rank that is used in the new Arc or is this a different LED?