Newbie question about LED bike light

TomBrown

Newly Enlightened
I've been lurking on this wonderful site for a couple of months. There is so much information in here, it's a little overwhelming. Thank you all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have two BLT Uber Doppler headlights for my bike.

uberdoppler_th.gif

The lights show as having 5 x 16000 MCD LEDs in all of the online documentation, however, mine both have 7. The LEDs look to be 5mm in size. Each LED has a reflector and lens. Each light assembly takes 3 x AAA batteries. They have an electronic switching mechanism with four modes, one of which is a wildly annoying flashing mode. Judging by the output characteristics, the LEDs seem to be driven by a semi-regulated power supply.

I'm extremely pleased with these lights. One was marginal but two put out a nice amount of light for my purposes. Throw is not terrific but fine for me. Run time is phenomenal.

I run these lights with NiMH batteries exclusively, despite the fact that they are slightly brighter with alkalines. I've never tried lithiums.

Is anyone familiar with these lights?

Am I correct in thinking that it should be fairly straight forward to swap out the 5mm 16000 MCD LEDs for some 5mm 35000 MCD LEDs and adjust the driving resistor for 40ma of forward current with NiMH batteries so I could have full brightness without having to go to alkalines or Lithiums?

I'm guessing there is a PIC in there to handle the different modes but I'm hoping the driving resistor/LED pairs are obvious.

BTW, I've taken the backs off and the electronics and beam assembly is glued together so I hesitate to take one apart if my chances of mod success are low.

Thank you in advance.

- Tom

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hey Tom, while I'm not any expert on bike lights (so I'm not going to be of any help to you there!)...just want to say "Welcome aboard"!! Plenty of reading and info in these "halls" as you've already indicated!

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help answer your questions! Enjoy and again - "Welcome"!

TomBrown

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This site is really terrific. I ordered an SL PP 4AA about a month ago based on feedback here and FlashlightReviews.com. It turned out to be an absolute gem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif