longest lasting aa led

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Certainly depends on what you want, as brightness increases runtime decreases.

An eternaLight will last hundreds of hours when programmed to run on one of it's 4 LEDs driven at minimum current/voltage. The Lightwave series of lights can last hundreds of hours, but then you lack throw. Wayne (Elektro Lumens) has some really nice torches that last several days with a quality build and throw quite well. There are many GREAT QUALITY torches handcrafted by CPF resident modders and others who visit the CPF as well!! SureFire, Streamlight, Inova, etc. all produce great quality torches with lifetime guarantees.

Throw, brightness, spill, runtime, beam quality, build (size, plastic, metal, ergonomics, waterproof, shockproof, programmability, plastic/poly/plain glass/coated glass lens, switch, direct drive or voltage/current regulation circuits, LED, incandescent - what have I left out?) are all components of "quality". Are you asking "If I had to buy one flashlight - which one would give me the most for my money?" Questions to ask are, "What are you going to do with it or why do you need one or what do you want your lights to do for you?"

That's gonna' be a tough one to answer! That's why I own, uh...er...let's just say waaaaay toooo many lights! It's almost like asking which screwdriver is the best. You can't get by with one screwdriver in your toolbox can you? I know I can't!

bananas

Newly Enlightened
Im thinking of a torch you could take out to the middle of nowhere and have a useable light that could last a loooong time. So time is basically the most important requirement the next would be durability and ruggedness and a flood beam also something that fits well into the pocket the smaller the better but I know size and power is a trade off but ideally a two celled aa torch.

paulr

Flashaholic
Any ultra-long-lasting light will be very dim. Are you ok with that? If not, then say specifically what you want. How are you envisioning using this light?

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you need the ability of 2 or more levels of light? How many hours do you need for this light? Will you be able to take spares?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Well, that's getting it narrowed down some! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I say "check out this or that", I'm sure there's gonna' be a herd behind me saying to check out something else! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Off the top of my head, have you checked out the "Gerber Trio"? They say up to 80 hours runtime on 2 AAs (I think it will give you about 8 hours to 50% intensity and then many hours of useable light thereafter). Solidly built as well! I like them and they're only $25!!!

Have you been to "The Led Museum" or "Flashlight Reviews" or even our own "Reviews Forum" here on the CPF to check some of these out? Craig, at "The Led Museum" has torches listed by battery type.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original Infinity was a single AA aluminum LED light that ran around 40 hours on a single AA cell. A Peak AA with one HO (not ultra) LED would probably get you around 20-25 hours of light.

For a two cell, there are a few minimag based options. A MJ LED which is a 100mA 5mm LED that plugs into the mag instead of the bulb. Feed it two Energizer E2 lithium AA batteries and it will give a bright and fairly even output for 35 hours. Very durable in that it has no electronics to break or switch the fail. Not sure if the same thing can be done with a standard 25mA 5mm LED, it probably would work.

Terralux makes some minimag adapters that have low power as well as a long runtime.

wwglen

Enlightened
in the discussions of the MJLED one person mentioned takind a 2w6K led and running it on two Lithium AA's. He had a run time of over 1000 hours and was still producing usuable light.

You need lithiums with MOST of the 26K LEDSs as their forward is usaually in the 3.3-3.4 VDC range.

A better choice for the LED would probably be the Nichia from the newe group buy as they hold up better to avarious current loads.

wwglen

paulr

Flashaholic
Also, a 2 cell light generally needs a boost converter, so a 3 cell light makes things simpler and more efficient.

There are some nice, ultra-tough, long-running 3aa lights from Tek-tite that might be what you want, e.g. Trek 2 or Trek 4. See http://www.tek-tite.com for info.

There's not much available for 2AA in led lights. There are some nice 1AA lights, the CMG Ultra-G (discontinued) being one of the favorites around here, the Gerber Infinity Ultra being its replacement. The Arc AA and Peak Kilimanjaro are similar and nicer but cost a lot more. The Arc is unavailable now but supposedly will be made again around the end of this year.

You can always do a LED conversion for your Minimag, i.e. the MJled directly replaces the bulb.

The UK 2AAA (not AA) eLED is a nice light too, and about the size of a 1AA light, if you don't mind AAA's.

Finally, 1AAA lights like the Arc AAA and Peak Matterhorn are among the most popular lights on CPF. You can put them on your keychain and they're very handy and relatively long running.

wwglen

Enlightened
Oh and from the current experence here at CPF do NOT use Lithiums with the MJLED's after the first buy.

It appears that they have a lower Vf than the first ones and Lithiums drive 130-170mA at the start. There is a lot of problems with people having them strobe.

Even with Alkilines SOME people read a starting current over 100mA (I get 75mA on mine) of course with Alkilines they drop voltage pretty quick and drop to the safe level fairly fast.

Using a minimag with Alkiline AA's I got about a week constant before I stopped. Granted it was dim but you could still use it in the dark after your eyes adjusted.

I also tried one of the 35000 white LEDs in a minimag and with slightly used alkilines I got a current of 20-25mA which is right at spec and while it wasn't as bright as the MJLED it was still brighter than an infinity.

wwglen

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is always the Opalec.
10 hours of flat regulated runtime.

I hear the Infinity and Infinity Ultra have a very long runtime as well.

Bob

Luxman

Enlightened
Although its a 3xAA, the Lightwave 2100 is an excellent light and lasts a Long time (Pkg says 14 days).
Here is a Review . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
The original Infinity was a single AA aluminum LED light that ran around 40 hours on a single AA cell. A Peak AA with one HO (not ultra) LED would probably get you around 20-25 hours of light.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI- Starting with a frest Duracell Alkaline, I'm up over 55 hours on my Peak Kilmanjaro Ultra. I'm using an original CMG Infinity (not Ultra) with a fresh cell as my standard of 'minimum usable light', and at 55 hours the Peak and CMG when compared side by side are of equivalent brightness and throw. The Peak can still easily light up things 10-15 feet away. I'm now continuing the testing in 4-5 hour evening sessions just to see how much longer it'll go.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fan of the old non-ultra Infinity task lights. Interestingly enough, while the old (front twisty) Infinity ultra task lights are pretty much all gone, the older non-ultras can still be found, and usually at $10 closeout prices. Batterystation has them here, another source is here. While it's not that bright, it gives you what you need in a survival situation (and lots of other times), and I don't think you can find a more compact, reliable, and longer running AA light for the price. It's rated at 40+ hours and I think LEDmuseum tested it to remain bright for 30+ hours (back in the old days before run time charts).

Geologist

Enlightened
My vote would either be:

Eternalight Elite Series (durable, waterproof, floats, multiple modes, long running, brighter when needed, magnet, and lanyard. Comes with lifetime guarentee from www.techass.com
($45 for the elite X-Ray at www.theledlight.com bargain basement)

or

Gerber Infinity Ultra - singe AA battery, small, inexpensive, lanyard hole and clip included ($15 at batterstation's CPF page)

If you are having a hard time choosing between the two, then do what we all do......

BUY BOTH!!!! (This is not a subliminal message)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
bananas said:What would be the longest lasting quality flashlight

[/ QUOTE ]
Lots of people have quite rightly asked for qualifications for your usage.

Here's my "knee-jerk" impulsive response -

an eternaLight - 4 LEDs with adjustable levels (uses 3x AA) - on the dimmest level the light can last several thousands (not just hundreds) of hours. There have been threads of people actually testing out the thousands of hours runtime.... the beam of the eternaLight is very wide smooth and useful.
Personally I like the Red/White option please see this thread with lots of comparison pics and beam shots:
eternaLight Ergo 3 Red/White

Another reputed long lasting single AA light is the long discontinued CMG Infinity (non-Ultra) Task Light - it is dim - and although the white LED is the most generally useful - one could consider the Yellow LED - which I suspect possibly runs longer, and I seem to see better under dim yellow than any other color including white - it also seems to affect less any dark adaption I have acquired (note NOT true scotopic night vision - red is better but I do not see as well under red light).
This is only a GUESS since the Yellow Photon lights are rated/advertized at 120 hours runtime - and I have EDC'd a Yellow Photon for over 7 years on the same battery to attest to that claim.....

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nerdgineer said:
I'm a fan of the old non-ultra Infinity task lights. ....... While it's not that bright, it gives you what you need in a survival situation (and lots of other times), and I don't think you can find a more compact, reliable, and longer running AA light for the price. It's rated at 40+ hours and I think LEDmuseum tested it to remain bright for 30+ hours (back in the old days before run time charts).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I agree, that's why I'm using it as my standard of 'minimum usable (i.e. not 'moon mode') light'. As I indicated, after running for 55 hours (that's not a mistype), my Kilmanjaro Ultra is as bright and useful as the Infinity notUltra is with a fresh battery. I have no idea of just how long it will go- but I'm impressed.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I only have one comment (and negative at that) about the Lightwave 2100. Durability may not be all there if you are a bit ham fisted like I am.

Super glue and Electric tape hold the head on mine.

My Dad comandeered my UK 2AAA Eled for a fishing light. He told me just recently it still works great, and it has sat up for months.

I've done a couple of generic 2AA lights with either 2AA Lith or 3N Alk and a 5mm Led. Fine amount of light in the night time! I've never really tested 'em for runtime however.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion is a good old 2AA minimag with a LED. I guess mine must have a really old LED because it seems to draw about 20mA and will run for around 200 hours before dimming greatly. I tested it for 8 days straight with rechargeable 2500mA batteries and it was still going at the 8 day mark but was very dim by the 10th day. As a bonus it's pretty much indestructible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif