MJ LED and Lithiums

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me if you can run lithiums in a MM with a MJ LED in it?

I just ordered a couple MJ LEDs from lighthound and don't want to fry them as soon as I get them!

Thanks for your help.

Dave

wwglen

Enlightened
I did for a while and didn't burn them out. Pullede 135mA on lithiums but raited at 100mA so it was overdriving them a good bit.

Some people pulled 160+mA with lithium and burned them out real quick.

Some testing was done comparing different LEDs and it was determined that 100mA was at the hairy edge for the leds and 75mA was better.

I reduced mine to alkline and get about 75mA and it still fairly bright with a long run time. They seem almost as bright as my 2-aaa 1/2 watt flashlight.

If you still want lithiums I would try it and check the current. As long as you are under 125-130mA you will probably be ok for short runs but long runs rill degrade the LEDs output quickly.

wwglen

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info wwglen.
Better safe than sorry.

I'll test the current draw on them when I get them.

Dave

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlightman, you can find some test info on the MJLED here. The chart you are looking for is near the end of the second post. When you are testing, remember that you multimeter will introduce a resistance (and therefore a voltage drop). That will make it look like the LED is getting less current than if the multimeter was not in the circuit.

Paul

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Paul for the link and the good information.

I will certainly keep that in mind!

Dave

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Wow Paul,

I just spent a few minutes reading all you data.
Very nice charts.

I don't think I'll be running the MJLED on lithiums!

Thanks much.

Dave

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
wwglen said: I did for a while and didn't burn them out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the very first MJLEDs were actually "better" on Lithiums - judging from the number of posts suggesting I should try lithiums with my second generation MJLED drop-in for MiniMag 2AA (linked).

However since the second generation or 2nd buy - ie: since about the end of February/2005 - the newer MJLEDs worked better on alkalines - and there have been reports of MJLEDs strobing when used with 2x Lithium AAs.

In fact it was wwglen who very helpfully pointed this out and brought it to my attention.....

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the additional link.
I like your review a lot.
I can't wait till my MJLED's arrive.

I have the MM reflectors already prepared!

Dave