Hotwire & Li-ion Question

Enlightened
Will (2) 18650's run a WA1274? I have tried using (2) of these in a 2C Mag with a WA1274 in Kiu's high temp socket. The bulb will flash on but that is it. If I remove the switch/socket and connect it to a battey holder w/ (7) AA Nimh's it comes on and stays on. I hope there is a solution for the 2C because I love its size.
Thanks,
Chris

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will only work if they are not protected cells. Pilas are protected and will run it, but the 18650 protected cells have a lower shutoff and won't be able to supply the current needed without tripping the protection circuit.

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

Thanks Trashman.
Chris

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem, and am now just using 2 bare cells to run it. Although it is not recommended to use bare cells in series, I haven't had any problems. I guess as long as you don't let the batteries get too drained and charge at FIRST sign of dimming, they'll be ok.

litho123

Enlightened
Chris -

I bought the off brand protected batteries to save a few dollars.

One trick I had to employ with the 1331 and 1166 bulbs was to rapidly semi-depress the Mag button, lighting the bulb for a brief instant each time which should get brighter as you continue to rapidly semi-depress, (nothing less than very fast works) and then fully depressing switch when it looks like the light will stay on.

It gets harder to do as the batteries drain, so i make sure my application is extended use.

Hope that helps.

Greg

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
You may get some ideas to fix the double-click issue in my latest post here

It is possible values may need to be tinkered with depending on voltages and lamps chosen, but what's there would be a good starting point.

Chris

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working on a 'soft start' circuit that would also solve that particular problem as long as the protected cells can output the constant current and it's just that initial 'spike' causing a problem (cells think it's a short and shut off)