Anyone go to the Woodward Dream Cruise?

PJ

Enlightened
Did anyone else in or around Michigan go to the Woodward Dream Cruise? I swore last year I wasn't going again but there I was among the expected 1.7 million people along a 12 mile stretch of road. I can't really describe everything that caught my eye but some of the highlights were:

- An old Divco milk truck with slicks tucked up under it. I didn't get a close look at it but it sounded like a blown V8 in and around the engine compartment.

- A VW Beetle, old style, with a wrought aluminum body. It had the Beetle floorpan and a body made of aluminum bar stock formed into the shape of a Beetle. Kind of like the fancy work done on porch railings and stuff.

- Hemi powered stuff. DaimlerChrysler had a parking lot full of new and old cars and displays. One of the displays had a snow blower, barbecue, merry-go-round and a Big Wheel all powered by the new 5.7 liter Hemi. The Big Wheel actually made a lap around the parking lot.

Hemi_BW.jpg

- A 1969 Hemi Belvedere that ran a 10.90 second quarter mile on F70-15 bias ply tires. There is a club that races older Hemis that have to appear pretty much stock and run on tires that were available back then.

Ironically the best way to get around was by bicycle. I parked at a golf course a few blocks east of Woodward and rode up and down side streets to get where I wanted to go.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wanted to go, but work is too busy this time of year, besides, if I tried to take my 56 Olds, it would most certainly overheat in the bumper to bumper traffic. It looks like a real blast, though.