Is the SL ProPoly 4AA LUX all that???

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, read the initial post as they flooded in but do you folks still feel the same way? I am thinking about purchasing one for work. I just have problems with the idea of a one watt lux having the ability to throw as well as reported?

Dave

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still one of my favorite lights. Has enough throw for work, unless your work involves some very very long distances.

Also this light is an excellent combination of throw and spill. Rugged, waterproof and long runtime for the output.
Perfect construction if your work light ends up in a toolbox.

I believe all the praise and enthusiasm are well deserved. A true bargain at around $30. Biggest problem? I pick up and use this light and think about other lights I have that cost 2, 3 or even 4 times as much that are functionally not as useful.

Highly recommended to have in your collection.

Mark

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 3 of these as this is currently my favorite flashlight. Very bright, great throw and spill, cheap and easy to get batteries, four hours regulated; I even prefer plastic over metal as no finish to come off. Took this thing camping and it's the cat's meow.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
...I just have problems with the idea of a one watt lux having the ability to throw as well as reported?...

[/ QUOTE ]
I have two ProPoly LUX 4AAs. It has great throw for the lumens -- achieves this with a fairly tight beam, so spill is less than some others (but still useful).

The quality/price/performance is impressive for a regulated LED light from a major mfg.

If you go xenon/Li (e.g, SL Scorpion) you can get more total output and throw in a smaller package for roughly the same price, albeit with 1/3 the run time per battery set.

The PP Lux 4AA is rugged and with 3.5 hr regulated run time on AAs, would make a good work light, esp if you need throw.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I fully support this light. The biggest issue, as someone else mentioned, is that you'll kick yourself in the a** for have spending 3, 4, 5 times for those other lights that don't outperform the Poly.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is in its own category as the best bang for the buck. It is durable, bright, white tint, has a far throwing beam and is cheap. I got the light with the bright yellow body. With a body that color I never loose track of it.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great bang for the buck, nice regulator my opinion says.

For pure runtime, I prefer the UK 4aa eLED (11 hours constant regulation), but the SL does do a good balancing act (brightness and runtime combo).

X33

Enlightened
Sorry to barge in here, quick question: can the SL4AA run on NiMH rechargeables? Even though it might void the warranty? Anyone ever blown one up by using NimH? Thanks very much.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
SL's official answer is designed for alkalines only.

I don't see any way that rechargeables could possibly do any damage. I suspect that due to the lower voltage you would be at or near the regulation bottom end and get low output and poor runtime.

Couldn't hurt to try it and see.

Mark

X33

Enlightened
Thanks, I have been eyeing this light for a while now but after this thread the scale has tipped and I'm gonna get one.

mykall

Enlightened
If there were such a thing as "Flashlight of the year"
like Motor Trend (or whoever it is) has "Car of the year"
this would win it for the reasons stated above. It's price
/performance/value combo is rare. And oh...that beautiful
white hotspot in the center with useful sidespill.

And yes...it throws nicely.

MB

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
Great bang for the buck, nice regulator my opinion says.

For pure runtime, I prefer the UK 4aa eLED (11 hours constant regulation), but the SL does do a good balancing act (brightness and runtime combo).

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the one with the switch?

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Get yourself an SL ProPoly 4AA LUX (throw) and a UK 4AA eLED (runtime) and you'll probably relegate most of your other torches straight to the display cabinet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If Streamlight could come up with a 2 brightness level ProPoly (4 hours at full brightness, 15+ hours at lower level brightness), they'd have a contender for torch of the decade!

Chao

Enlightened
luxeon4aa%20runtime-2.jpg

My ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA can use NiMH rechargeables, has the same output and runtime like alkalines did, great light!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it would be an improvement if the all four AA cells were placed side by side instead of the current two over two configuration. I imagine the entire unit would be around the width of the reflector, and the overall length would be several inches shorter.

mykall

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
gadgetnerd said:

If Streamlight could come up with a 2 brightness level ProPoly (4 hours at full brightness, 15+ hours at lower level brightness), they'd have a contender for torch of the decade!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Not just because of the extended runtime but
because the Pro-Po' 4AA-L is so bright that up close work
is eye straining and the lower setting would allow for
a reading-level.

MB