Night fisherman seek advice and mod

reboc

Newly Enlightened
Looking for advice on 3 different lights I need to carry. I only want LED. Separate lights are best for backup reasons.

1- a small, dim and preferably red light for stealth work. Nothing tells other fisherman at night that you're catching down the beach than when your light is going on and off. I prefer something that can be held in the teeth and is simple to turn on and off.

2- a head lamp with just enough to light my path, not brighter. something with a stealth light too would be ideal. I don't want to attract any attention I don't have to.

3- the brightest white light I can find in the size of a mini-mag for when I really need to light things up.

MODS
Headlamp... An eveready led essentials head lamp has two white leds and a red one. I would want to swap the white ones out for green ones. Can this be done and can someone tell me the LEDS I need to get and where? I can solder but I can also just have someone else do it if it makes sense.

Thanks for your help!!! I'm not a flashlight guy so I do appreciate any and all responses.

I can also be reached at [email protected].

Mark

davidra

Enlightened
Can't help with the headlamp. For a red light that is tiny at a great cost, get the Pelican on Battery Station's CPF Specials page Link

I've got two of them, one on a chain attached to my boat keys. It is the perfect small red LED light.

For your brighter light, there's always the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon. I'm really partial to the G2 with Lux 3 dropin, but then you've got to go to 123's. Lots of recent posts about the Propoly 4AA which might be perfect for you. For a cheaper light that will work pretty well, try the new Metal Gear Lux 1 at Walmart for $18....runs on 3 AAA's. When I'm fishing, I like to have one really bright one for spotting, and that's usually an SL TL-3 or a 2C mag mod with 3X123....

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have several headlamps icluding the headbeam 2white/1red LED with slide switch and optics. I took mine apart and it looks moddable although I have in mind a mod of another headlamp with better white LEDs and a luxeon in place of the xenon.

flashlite

Enlightened
1 - Gerber Infinity Ultra Task Light
2 - Petzl Tactikka Plus
3 - Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon

reboc

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks a ton for the ideas. The G2 looks like it could be a winner how do I get a lux 3 drop in?

1- pelican and gerber task light- a little too big I think to hold in the teeth. Thanks anyway.

2- Petzl Tactikka Plus - awesome, this could be it.

3- G2 looks like a winner. Propoly 4AA maybe but it's big. Streamlight Jr. not. I had one and the rubber tail cap never screwed in right, always got mashed. Got lots of salt water in it and started to corrode. And the tailcap threads are plastic and got knarled right from the start. I tossed it recently.

Also had a SL Green Trident. Loved the green but tell me why all these multi-lamp lights have only one switch and you have to cycle through all lights to turn it off? I mean they advertise the green as not spooking game, but you can't operate it without cycling through all settings including the bright white light. Is it me or is this stupid? Eventually the switch failed in always on position. I just recently tossed this too. I'm not too thrilled about SL products at this point. Hey I'm becoming a flashlight guy.

Still interested in mods like the G2 lux drop in and swapping white leds for green in a headlamp or red in a mini light I can hold in my teeth.

flashlite

Enlightened
For #1, there's the smaller Peak Matterhorn series seen here. It takes AAA size batteries - same as the Tactikka. For something even smaller, you'd probably have to go with a button cell keychain light, like the Photon Micro-Lights .

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about combining 1 and 2 to a headlamp? Headlamps are often used in a low light camping environment so many have red LEDs, selectable low level, etc.

Headlamps with red or green output to preserve night vision:

Gerber Meridian
Rayovac Sportsman 3-in-1
LED-Lenser Dual Color Headlamp
Silva L3
Black Diamond Soliras (red lens)

Bright MiniMag-size LED flashlight:

Nuwai TM-301X 5W
Pelican M6 LED HA 3 watt
Streamlight Tasklight 2L LuxIII