he'e holua- Hawaiian lava sledding

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Re: he\'e holua- Hawaiian lava sledding

Hmmm.... What's the next step, lava surfing?? You'd need an insulated surf board and hope you don't fall off!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
70mph head first down hill. And people think I'm crazy!

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

From the CNN article:

[ QUOTE ]
And Stone has the scars to show for it.

Wearing just a tank top and shorts and reaching speeds of up to 70 mph on a sled standing only 4 inches above the ground, Stone once ran into a steel post sticking up from the grass during a demonstration on a slope on Maui, tearing an 18-inch gash in his left thigh.

In another crash, Stone broke his neck. It hasn't stopped him.

"You can't even imagine what it's like to be headfirst, 4 inches off the ground, doing 30, 40, 50 miles an hour on rock," Stone said. "It looks like you are riding just fluid lava. It's death-defying ... but it's a lot of fun."

[/ QUOTE ]

And then, later:

[ QUOTE ]
Stone said there are only about a couple of dozen regular riders, and he is unaware of any deaths or serious injuries among those trying the sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe loss of memory is another drawback about this sport? Or, perhaps, his definiton of serious injury is a bit different than mine.

-Bill

big_guy

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
UncleFester said:
Hmmm.... What's the next step, lava surfing?? You'd need an insulated surf board and hope you don't fall off!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
70mph head first down hill. And people think I'm crazy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't that just burn your @$$! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif