What book(s) do you recommend?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I am entering 8th grade in september, and for us, that means books books books /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I decided on either Huck Finn or the Great Gatsby for the rest of the summer. I just wanted to know what anyone here would recommend since youve been through this already

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between Gatsby and Finn, I would definitely choose Finn. It is IMO more of a "classic," more engaging and far more accessible to an 8th grader. I think you will like it more and get more out of it. Just keep in mind that Twain uses satire from time to time and his meaning is sometimes the opposite of what is being said.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like science-fiction I would recommend you read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It is the first book in a series, if you happen to like it. It is still a great book though, even if you decide not to read any others in the series...you won't feel like you are missing part of the story.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
In early high school, reading books wasn't a top priority for me. I'd ususally skim through school required books mostly uninterested. But the Martian Chronicles had me reading every chance I got until the end. I remember feeling extremely frustrated for the characters in the book so I had to turn the page to find out what was going to happen next.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Catcher in the Rye, Catch-22, and The Scarlet letter were some of the ones I remember reading and not falling asleep every other page.

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
Any of the so called "juvenile" series by Robert A Heinline!! There are 12 books in this group: EG Have Spacesuit, Will Travel. Many of the people I worked with in the old (circa 1960) days at NASA gave full credit to Mr Heinline for their choice of career. My Grandson had to be bribed to read the first one, now he has his own set and God help anyone who even thinks about looking at one without asking! BTW to this day I read each of Mr. Heinline's books at least once a year.

A book is a friend that can be with you anywhere

Best Regards, Young Sir!!

Outrider /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Geologist

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
If you like science-fiction I would recommend you read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It is the first book in a series, if you happen to like it. It is still a great book though, even if you decide not to read any others in the series...you won't feel like you are missing part of the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good pick on Ender's Game - I'm still kicking myself for sellin g my original paperpack copy......

The LOTR series if you haven't already read them.

Also MY FAVORITE series when in 8th grade, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams .... Science Fiction and Humor - gotta love it.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was (and still somewhat am) into science fiction and fantasy around that age. Some of my favorites are as follows (most of these fall into the "fun reading" and not "classic" category:

A Wrinkle in Time, Dune, Hitchhiker's Guide (and sequels), Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass), also some Michael Crighton books: Sphere, the Andromeda Strain, the Terminal Man, Jurassic Park, Prey.

If you haven't already read the following when you were younger, I'd still recommend anything by Roald Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Witches, Danny the Champion of the World).

John Bellairs also had some good mystery/horror (The House with the Clock in its Walls, The Figure in the Shadows). More on the classic side, check out the works of Edgar Allen Poe. Also, The Phantom Tollbooth is a good one. Oh yeah, and I still like the Harry Potter books (nuff said!) even though I'm 26 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Depends on YOUR reading level - I was way beyond grade level back when, so I can't really tell what is "difficulty appropriate"

"The Weapons Shop of Isher" (if you can find it)

For more "Modern" stuff - I'll agree with Ender's Game, or even "The Hunt for Red October" if you think your reading level is up to it (by far the shortest of the Clancy novels)

I'll also agree with any of the Heinlein juveniles, or even "Starship Troopers" (different than the movie - don't cheat)

Any of the Horatio Hornblower "classics"

Heck, how about the Harry Potter books?

(I'd say "Unintended Consequences" but it's way too long, and the themes might be a TAD too adult - wait a couple of years on that one)

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was about your age, and all through highschool, I was totally addicted to Louis L'amour books (mostly westerns).

Not only exciting and entertaining reading, they gave me much of the 'code of behavior" by which I still try to live.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good suggestions there even for adults. Out of your two original choices, I too think Huck Finn would be a bit more exciting. For whatever reason though Catcher in the Rye became my favorite forced reading book. I should go back and reread some of the ones I found boring like The Scarlet Letter and see if adulthood has changed my perspective.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I hate to create controversy, but of Huck Finn and The Great Gatsby, (both of which I've read) I prefered The Great Gatsby. That's not to say that you, Mags, or anyone else will prefer it though. Just my opinion...

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for the Mark Twain before the Fitzgerald, but read both.

My choices to add to the list:

1984 - George Orwell
Lathe of Heaven - Ursula K. Le Guin
Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geoff- I loved Snow Crash and thought about suggesting it along with William Gibson's Neuromancer, but I thought that maybe they have some less than appropriate content.

Of course, now that I mention this, Mags is going to be sure to check them out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.