Simple Mod Request - bore out my CNC-123 a bit?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

I have a simple mod request that someone with a lathe may be able to handle.

I have a CNC-123 who's battery tube I.D. is just a bit too small for my R123s. I would like to have it bored out by just a bit (.002 inch maybe).

FWIW this is the HA3 version with some sort of coating on the inside. Obviously the coating will be lost in the process...

If I send the battery tube and a sample R123, is there anyone out there that could handle this?

Jon

TomBrown

Newly Enlightened
Re: Simple Mod Request - bore out my CNC-123 a bit

Have you tried peeling the labels off the batteries?

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do you have a way to measure the current size as well as the diameter of the cell ? My brother might be able to do it on his mill if he has the right bit.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

TomBrown,

No, I haven't peeled the label off. I'm not sure whether the cell walls are isolated and frankly, I don't want to mess with these batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HarryN,

I don't have anything accurate enough to measure. A normal BatterStation or SureFire CR123 fits with no rattle. I've been told other R123s fit, but the protected R123s that I have are too wide by at least twice the thickness of the plastic label.

Jon

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast

The challenge you face is that nothing in machining is really simple or quick if you want it to be right. On a lathe, it might take someone 2 - 3 hours by the time they setup, measure, cut and clean it up. On a mill, it could be similar, but perhaps even longer.

I have a theory about machining - everything takes 4 hours. $ 25 an hour is cheap, 50 is common, and shops charge $100.

Have you considered using a dremel tool and trying to sand the inside, or using a chemical method of etching the insides larger ?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have considered doing it myself but I find Dremel tools to be less than optimal for things like this. I shudder to think what the inside of the battery tube will look like after I was done with it. I have bored out MM heads to accept 20mm reflectors, but I'm less concerned about mangling one of those than my prized EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I posted here because a year and a half ago I was able to get a former CPFer (Chief Wiggum) to machine a custom heatsink for another project I was working on. It was a small job and his fees were reasonable (less than a machine shop). Unfortunately I haven't seen him around CPF for quite a while now - there seems to be a new crop of people lately.

Anyway, I have considered trying to somehow fit it into my drill press' chuck but chances are I'll mangle the finish or the threads on the battery tube.

If nobody here is willing to give this a shot I'll probably just use a different body - perhaps an E1e - for my project.

Jon

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

since the cnc123 body is easy to take apart from switch and head... you could probably do it by hand with a dowel and sand paper.. probably in about as much time as it would take to wrap it up and take to the post office.. aluminum is pretty hand-machinable.. i would wrap the outside in some white-tape (like for bandages)... to protect it and have a go with sand paper on a dowel.. 20-30 minutes you'll get the few thou. you need i pretty much guarantee it.. you could mess with putting a dowel with sandpaper into a drill press and get some electric 'muscle' into it and likely save some time.

-awr

leadfoot

Newly Enlightened

Hardware stores should have a drum type flap sander, which is the factory equivalent of what awr suggested. Mounted in you drill or drill press would just take minutes.

Leadfoot

Enlightened

I have a few CNC-123's and for whatever reason the HA green has a smaller ID. I can get a R123 in a nickel CNC w/o a problem. It is a very tight fit and the battery will not slide up or down with simple pressure from the spring. The HA green is a different beast. The R123 won't even start to go in the tube. If StoneDog's CNC HA green is like mine he probably needs to remove quite a bit.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the idea of the flap wheel - wish I'd thought of that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If I can find a local shop that stocks them I'll give it a shot. Otherwise I may resort to the dowel and sandpaper method.

.308, does your nickel CNC have an yellow coating inside the tube? I wonder if that coating is thick enough to cause the problem? Either that or they were simply machined differently...

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Jon