Green LED's

olagustus

Newly Enlightened
Green LED\'s

I'm sort of new to all this and have a question: I recently bought a Streamlight Green LED for hunting use primarily. I was told that this green color is not visible to the critters and, at the very least, does not spook them. Does anyone here have any hard data on that or even educated guesses on the validity of that theory?

Danintex

Enlightened
Re: Green LED\'s

I guide alot of hunts, and it seems that any colored light will reduce the animals visibility of it. I like blue because it can also be used for tracking. Most animals are supposed to be color blind anyway.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Any time I've approached "the usual" wildlife, they've scampered away from me. Well, except with lions, I did not try to leave the vehicle in their presence. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

olagustus

Newly Enlightened

Good point about tracking with the Blue. I know they're supposedly color blind, but after using it a few times in the woods around the house, I'd say that it emits a much softer tone/light that theoretically should be less spooky - not the bright white from a Mag or even my Petzel headlamp. I found I could see just as well with this softer color too, but couldn't see well with the blue lamp torch I have.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast

Given that most animals' reflective membranes reflect a yellowish/greenish tint to enhance night vision, thereby passing the green light through the sensitive cells twice, I'd say they can see it. In fact I'd bet they can see that color better.

Scott

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

What kind of streamlight? Do you only need a small light to find your way around with? Green is nice at night it is very bright and the vegetation will be very visible. I would want another white light for when you want to see colors.

It is interesting to be out with a green light. If you're looking for movement more than color, the green light would be good in that respect. Otherwise, you need a small white light to reload with.

With or without a light, most animals probably know where you are anyway.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Green they can defiantly see. Red or red-orange they can't (or not very well). I have tested this first hand.