8LED 1AA "Xnova" New vs. Old

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
8LED 1AA \"Xnova\" New vs. Old

New style (from LightHound.com) vs.older style 8LED "Xnova" 1AA.

First a word of praise for LightHound.com. I have had really good, quick, informative and helpful responses from John of LightHound to all my (numerous) queries. When I ordered these items late on Thursday - I was notified promptly that they would be shipped on the following day Friday - which is the earliest that they could have been shipped. My package arrived today - Monday - that's fast service. See also this thread - praise for lighthound.com

I got interested in the newer 8LED 1AA "Xnova" from LightHound.com because of this thread - New 8LED/One AA light is twice as bright

Xnova8Size.jpg

The newer style Xnova 8 is a bit shorter than the older style (from Emilion). There is a distinguishing engraved silver ring, the head bezel lacks the lip on the older style and the 8 LEDs seem less recessed. The newer tail-cap is also flat so that the light can be stood on its tail - whereas the older style has a rounded/slightly domed end cap.

Xnova8Hds.jpg
Xnova8TailCap.jpg

Internally the two have a distinct difference in the battery orientation. The older style is the expected +ve toward the head - whereas the newer style is the other way round - the tail-cap actually has a pcb (printed circuit board) contact with a large + to show the orientation.

The on-off switch is really just twisting/unscrewing of the tailcap - when untwisted to the off position the tailcap is quite loose feeling. There a tolerance of about 1/8-1/6 of a turn where play in the threads will allow the tail-cap to be pushed for momentary ON. My second sample seems to have a bit more range for this.

This momentary ON is not very precise or positive - as slight sideways knock can also turn on the light - so in-pocket carry with the light "momentary ON ready" is kind of dubious - as I can see easy accidental ONs and the tolerance in only an 1/8 of a turn, there is a real danger of the light being turned on full time thus draining the battery.

Of course one can easily carry the light with enough turn out to have the light locked-out off - but not only is the tail-cap then pretty loose, one loses the appeal of the momentary ON.

A mention should be made for the strap that's supplied - it is real short, that one might question its practcality. It really will only fit a couple of fingers or one's thumb, and that's how I use it either looped round the thumb or putting the middle and ring fingers through - just to give some confidence/safety in holding the light.

How bright?

As some posts have already stated the newer Xnova 8 are noticably brighter than the older style
Xnova8New.jpg
Xnova8New2U.jpg

The closest 1AA light I have is the Xnova 5 1AA from a group buy by TrueBlue (HaveBlue at that time)

It's pretty obvious the newer 8LED Xnova is brighter (as is the older style)
Xnova8N5.jpg
Xnova8N5_2U.jpg

Compared to a classic 1AA light the Ultra-G
Xnova8UltraG.jpg
Xnova8UltraG2U.jpg

The Ultra-G has much better coverage/side-spill although it is obviouisly less bright than the new Xnova 8 - but in real life the Ultra-G is probably more useful for my usage, because of the coverage - although the larger more intense hot-spot of the Xnova 8 is a welcome.

There has been some talk that the brightness of the newer Xnova 8 was comparable to a 1watt Luxeon -

It is actually somewhat comparable - the 1watt Luxeon with the closest beam characteristics to the Xnova 8 - is the Costco 2AA 1watt Luxeon.
Xnova8Costco.jpg
Xnova8Costco2U.jpg

The Costco always seem to me to have a very intense hot-spot - partly due to the higher blue tint - although it does not seem blue to me. The Costco light is basically concentrated into a wide'ish hot-spot. The beamshots don't really reveal how much brighter in real-life the Costco is - but anything over about 10 feet away one can quite easily see the difference.

But for a $5.49 flashlight that runs on a single AA battery this is quite outstanding.......

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 8LED 1AA \"Xnova\" New vs. Old

Unkown, I appreciate your post, and pictures, as I was the original poster on "twice as bright".

Very nice lights, the older ones were fine, but the new ones are, well, fantastic !

Your description of the old/new matches mine.

The flat tail cap on the newer version is nice, it permits standing on end for room illumination.

I would love to know to know what changes took place for this fairly dramatic difference to emerge.

Any info from the dealers ?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice evaluation. I don't have one of these, but interesting anyway.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
JohnK said:I was the original poster on "twice as bright".
I would love to know to know what changes took place for this fairly dramatic difference to emerge.

[/ QUOTE ]
My take is that this was not a change.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif ?

BUT more likely a completely different make/model of light.

I remember that when TrueBlue (haveblue at the time) sold the group buy of the 5LED Xnova 1AA, there was at least one other 5LED look-a-like, but appeared to be of a different make - the cosmetic differences were pretty subtle - somewhat like the cosmetic differences between this new 8LED 1AA light from LightHound and the 8LED Xnova 1AA sold by Emilion.

So I think/guess the lights are from different manufacturers.

One of the things I did NOT like was the play/looseness of the tail-cap in the off position.

However as a quick and temporary fix I found that one of those very small diameter rubber bands will fit nicely on top of the groove formed between the body and tail-cap and offers enough resistance to prevent the tail-cap from accidentally turning too easily, and yet allow the momentary ON function and still can be twisted for full ON and off -
Xnova8RubBand.jpg

I know this rubber band won't last forever - but one probably can buy them in large-ish quantities for less than a dollar(?) so have a near lifetime supply.......

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Teh said:
Does anyone know if the emilion "R" version is the same light as this?

[/ QUOTE ]
and
[ QUOTE ]
Kryosphinx said:
Does emilion carry this new one now too? The "R" version?

[/ QUOTE ]
Based purely on the photos on Emilion's Xnova "R" 8 LEDs Flashlight I would hazard a guess of NO.

There are a few (subtle) cosmetic differences - like there is a lip to the head bezel of the Emilion "R" version as well as the rings in different places on the flared head.

Having said that however the rating on Emilion's "R" was for 50lux compared to his regular Xnova 1 AA 8 LEDs Flashlight of only 32 lux - makes the Emilion "R" version seem like it's going to be about as bright.......

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Someone needs to do a check of current draw of both types to see if the brightness is just higher drive rate or higher output LEDs.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:
Someone needs to do a check of current draw of both types to see if the brightness is just higher drive rate or higher output LEDs.

[/ QUOTE ]
AA battery #1
Open circuit 1.375V
current draw for
new Xnova 8 = 440mA
old Xnova 8 = 290mA

AA battery #2
Open circuit 1.465V
new Xnova 8 = 510mA
old Xnova 8 = 340mA

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lynx_Arc said:

[/ QUOTE ]
AA battery #1
Open circuit 1.375V
current draw for
new Xnova 8 = 440mA
old Xnova 8 = 290mA

AA battery #2
Open circuit 1.465V
new Xnova 8 = 510mA
old Xnova 8 = 340mA

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears the older xnovas are driven with about 65% of the current the new ones are. This translates into perhaps most of the apparent brightness at expense of runtime.

As for overdriving, 1.46v x .51A =.7446watts, divide that by approx 3.4v gives you about .219A divide this by 8 gives you .0274A or 26.6ma. This figure must be adjusted down by perhaps as much as half for boost circuit efficiency so it could be 13 to perhaps 20ma per LED drive rate. My guess is the older xnova is underdriving them more than the newer version.

Assuming perhaps 60% efficiency the power to drive (watts) for 8 LEDs at 20ma/LED (160ma, assuming 3.4v Vf) is approx .907watts. This would equate to about 648ma at 1.4v from a battery. If the Vf is lowered to 3.2 the figure comes out to be about 610ma from a 1.4v battery. If you raise the efficiency to 75% at 3.2v Vf (LED) the current draw from a 1.4v battery would be 488ma.

So it all depends on the Vf of the LEDs used, the actual voltage under load of the battery and the efficiency of the boost circuit, my guess is unless you use a lithium you will be underdriving them on both lights.

I have one xnova with two rather ugly colored LEDs when the batteries are slightly used. It is the old version from Emilion (just bought it) and I hooked up two nimh AAs to it and put about 900ma at 2.4v into the 8 LEDs and WHOA!.. was very bright. My calculations (at 60% efficiency 3.4v Vf) puts the drive current at 47ma/LED in this case.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unknown, the current draw readings are a big help. Good overall report.

I gave one of the new 1AA/8LED to a plumber friend, and he is absolutely delighted. He used to carry a 3D Mag. The guy goes around showing everybody his new light. Most don't have a clue what an LED is.......

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can someone put a light meter onto the new model Xnova? I think of it as a more easily available alternative to my Dorcy 1AA 3 LED which has been upgraded with 26K LEDs. That light will put out over 90 cd (i.e. 90 lux at 1 meter) off a fresh Alkaline and I'm curious how the new Xnova compares.

Amonra

Enlightened

I wonder if you could open the head and chance the leds to nichia 35k or lov 35k.
Has anyone ever managed to open one of these without destroying them ?

Teh

Newly Enlightened

I tried boiling one of them and it would not budge, then I tried to use some tools to wank it off, but only resulting in scratches dings on the finishing. Maybe I could have boiled it longer, but I was afraid It would ruin the light altogether.

Moat

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Amonra said:
I wonder if you could open the head and chance the leds to nichia 35k or lov 35k.
Has anyone ever managed to open one of these without destroying them ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently ruined one of my older-model (Emilion) Xnova 8 LED's, trying to pop the bezel forward/out using the water/freezer method - the PCB collapsed, instead... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Vincent - nice work! Question for 'ya - I'd like to get a few of these, but my older versions all seem rather flicker prone (I believe the spring to be too lightweight for a good, reliable contact). Are these newer versions any better in that regard?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have found cleaning the end of the battery tube and using a qtip on the contact plate around the spring to remove the dirt/grease clears up the flickering problem for me. Adding a little bulb grease makes it smoother also.

Moat

Enlightened

Lynx_Arc - thanks, and yes - that's exactly what I've been doing - but it only seems to last a day or two before a flicker returns. I've been meaning to try and find/install a heavier spring. The fact that the new version's spring is down inside the head (and not as easily "tweaked") makes me a bit hesitant.

Oh... and thanks for the useful circuit calculations above, too!!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Moat said: my older versions all seem rather flicker prone (I believe the spring to be too lightweight for a good, reliable contact). Are these newer versions any better in that regard?

[/ QUOTE ]
Since I've only had these a few days I'm no expert.
I have noticed the occassional flickering on the new ones - but it tends to be when I'm using them in the momentary on mode.

I think the cleaning helps -
but my take is that these on-off momentary tail-cap mechanisms are rather crude - depending on play or looseness in the thread - so the occassional flickering was not surpising. The best I can suggest is cleaning (what again? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif ) but this time on the body/battery tube end and the + and its surrounding circle metal on the pcb to ensure good contact with the crude switch.

The tail-caps of both my samples are rather loose in the off position, that I simply would NOT trust pocket carry - unless turned out a lot (then the tail-caps are even looser)-

My previously suggested small rubber band trick works ok for non-pocket use - because the rubber band is easily rolled off the gap between the body and tail-cap.
So I've stopped using that and have resorted to a piece of Scotch Magic tape - which is crude and tacky looking but at least it works (I do have to remove the tape to twist fully on - but most of my use is momentary).

I think a piece of wider plastic or rubber tubing (like people have suggested for the Dorcy 1AAA) may work better and not be as tacky - I'd be grateful for any suggestions of where to get the right sort of tubing - or any other suggestions to improve on the looseness of the tail-cap (eg: thicker O-ring may give more friction?)

Diameter of the body tube/tailcap is about 3/4" or 20mm.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can you measure current draw of the 5led Xnova?

I'm trying to decide if I want to re-mod mine or get a 8led that has higher current. (but I'll need to open it..)

I noticed the head will turn somewhat and then it stops lighting, (8 led model, not mine) perhaps you can take it apart that way?