Looking for a SF with wide spot

Merowin

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for a Surefire (or other) with a wide spot for near use - maybe like the KL4. The KL4 fits only on E2-Body, but I need a little body like the E1E. Can You help me??

Thanks.

Wutda

Newly Enlightened
Hi Merowin,

You can use the KL4 on a E1e body. I'm using a Vital Gear FB1 body which is essentially the same (1x123). It's a real compact package and excellent output with protected R123's.

pyro

Enlightened
You can buy a beamshaper for most of the Surefire lights.
This is a difussion filter placed on the bezel.
web page

Or you can use the KL4 (head of the L4) on a 1 cell body and
use a 4,2V lithium ion battery in it. (with short runtime)

matthewdanger

Enlightened
As Wutda said, the KL4 can be run on a 1 cell body. It is a very nice setup. I run a KL1 on an E1e body and top it with the F04 beam shaper. This gives very nice even flood light and great throw with the shaper removed.

The KL4 will not need a beamshaper for flood. It already has a nice flood beam.

Merowin

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
matthewdanger said:
As Wutda said, the KL4 can be run on a 1 cell body. It is a very nice setup. I run a KL1 on an E1e body and top it with the F04 beam shaper. This gives very nice even flood light and great throw with the shaper removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the KL1 and an E1e body identical with the new E1L Outdoorsman? Does the Beamshaper fit?

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Merowin, if you can move up one size (to a SF 6P or C2 or Z2), consider the KL3 (1st generation) LED bezel. It's a great flood-light, and it runs a loooong time (4+ hrs. to 50%, plus another 4+ hrs of usable light. This combo is my never-fails night-walk light, and I trust in it mightily.

FlashLightReviews.com has a fine of review of the NEW KL3 bezel (which is a spot/thrower), plus a link to their excellent review of the OLD (1st gen) KL3 model.

I don't believe the NEW KL3 (Gen-2) is widely available yet, and the very-desireable OLD (Gen-1)is a bit difficult to find, too, though Surefire does have it on their website (under LED's).

I urge getting one of the Old/1st-Gen KL3 bezels now... even if you don't have a body to mount it on right now. If you're a genuine flashaholic like most here, you WILL eventually need/have one!

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a KL3 gen 2 is more versatile when combined with a beamshaper (though the torch does get slightly bulkier). Throw and flood both at your command.

The KL3 gen 1 has a nice flood, but you can't focus it for throw if ya need. (Unless there's some turbohead-type mount-on that I don't know about?)

But as a collector's piece, of course old is gold. And oh yeah, I bought the gen 2 and that's why I have to support it. hahah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cy

Flashaholic
just got in a new style L4 with latest optic. It's performace is weak compared to reflector version.

not a totally fair comparison due to crappy luxeon that's dim and greenish. calling surefire soon to return

it's being compared to my keeper KL4. xbin brightness with excellent throw and spill with very white beam.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
LEDcandle makes an interesting point about the new/Gen-2 KL3's versatility when combined with a beamshaper. OTOH, that additional bulk might tip it into the borderline uncomfortable size for some. Different strokes...

Frankly, I've given up looking to LED lights for practical "throw" in urban/suburban environments. While the new KL3 has fine throw for an LED, it just can't punch through all the "ambient light" clutter from random street-lights, houses, etc., like an potent incan will. For that, I just whip a Pelican M6 or SL Scorpion outta my off-side pocket when out walking.

One Light just ain't enough! A bunch for for Flood, another bunch for Throw. Gotta have back-ups, just-in-case... and lights for little pockets and big pockets... and all your cars... and stashed in various rooms, coats, briefcases, tackle-boxes, and -- ya know, THEY will never understand us!

matthewdanger

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Merowin said:
[ QUOTE ]
matthewdanger said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the KL1 and an E1e body identical with the new E1L Outdoorsman? Does the Beamshaper fit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kind of... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mine is a KL1-BK on an E1e-BK w/ E2d tail cap (Z68?). It is essentially an E1l except for quite a few cosmetic changes.

Latest posts