LRI Proton not arriving - whats the next best ??

Perfectionist

Enlightened
I've been holding out for this baby for waaaaay too long .....

Is there anything out there which could be considered almost or even as good ??

I love the fact that the Proton :
- is small :)
- has multi level brightness ??
- has two colour beams
- uses AA batteries
- has long runtime
- is mega bright :D

Is there anything else that comes close ?

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LRI Proton not arriving - whats the next best

The short answer is no /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

The long answer is that there lights out there that have some of the best features of this light, but none that have all of them. I'd say the top contenders are:

HDS (any model): Variable brightness. Brightest for its size (shorter, yet a bit thicker than the Proton was supposed to be). This light surpases what the Proton would have been in the realm of build quality, switch and sophisticated engineering (thermal protection, calibrated LED, etc.) It would most likely have had far better tint as well. The downside is the non-standard battery (CR123 or RCR123) and the fact that these are twice the Proton's projected price. Oh yeah, no red either.

Fenix L1P: This light is kind of like a Proton minus all of the features but with a better finish. Like the Proton, it uses 1 AA battery but comes up with only around half the projected lumen power for an approximately equivalent runtime. Simple reverse clicky off/on- no brightness adjust, no colors, nada. However, this light looks to be quite a nice study in simplicity and has potential for mods that can give it variable output. No one really has it yet, but they are coming soon at around half of the projected Proton price (alliteration!).

If the multi-color thing is really important to you, I suggest an eternalight Derrenger. It is small, has a long runtime, and has red and white LEDs. It takes 3 AAAs (still not uncommon) and will be bright enough for close range tasks, though it won't be nearly as bright as the other lights mentioned. Price is only around a quarter of the Proton list price.

I for one am definitely sad to see the Proton project canned, but perhaps if the future can bring LEDs that live up to the specs, the light will breath new life in the future.

redduck

Newly Enlightened

Fenix L1 or L1P. There is a group buy going on right now and will close on 29th this month. Grab one while you can. Like you I was quite disappointed by proton. I was all set to buy a HDS, then I saw the group buy.

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened

I didnt hear about this. Why was the proton cancelled? I was really looking forward to this light.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Jaslight said:
I didnt hear about this. Why was the proton cancelled? I was really looking forward to this light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of us are disappointed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

From what I read on these forums, I think the problem was with the LED manufacturer (Nichia?) who couldn't supply the newfangled 1.5W LEDs this torch depended on. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast

Basically, LRI couldn't get the specs that they had previously announced out of the Nichia Jupiter (similar to Luxeon I, but more efficient) nor the use of 6 Nichia 5mm CS LEDs. On one AA, the prototypes were getting much more "average" performances than first it was hoped, and I suspect that the developement costs were outweighing the projected profit margins in this sort of venture for a company that really specializes in tiny plastic microlights.

As I suggested before, I hope that the company considers reopening the project a little ways down the road once LEDs that meet the performance requirements are easier to come by.

chanik

Newly Enlightened

It's not closed; we just have had to switch suppliers. I'll be offering them here as soon as the new outfit has the first few hundred done and even before we have the POP packaging finished. We're ~1 month away again

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the update Kurt, I haven't given up on LRI. Please let us know what sort of production model we can expect (cluster vs. single LED, output/runtime, etc.).

Larry

gadgetnerd

Enlightened

Great news Chanik! Now I've got something to look forward to again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

I waiting to check one out! I'd like to compare it with the
Fenix L1P. Does the LRI have a reflector?

matthewdanger

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
chanik said:
It's not closed; we just have had to switch suppliers. I'll be offering them here as soon as the new outfit has the first few hundred done and even before we have the POP packaging finished. We're ~1 month away again

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy days are here again!!! Heres to hoping they will actually be available in a month.

83Venture

Enlightened

I thought the Proton had died and was going to go for the Fenix L1P. Very glad to see it is alive and may be shipping in a month. I will jump on it as soon as you post that it is for sale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

In a month /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif What is one month, regardless of all time we have here ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
I am in for sure....please put me in your list now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2dim

Enlightened

Please, firm facts urgently needed, especially with the Fenix group buy ending August 29th....including approximate price, features, etc. etc. Chanik?

Perfectionist

Enlightened

Talk about a roller-coaster ride !!!

I never knew LRI had completely cancelled the Proton - only heard it had been put on the "back-burner" ..... i.e. probably won't appear till next year ...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Then the first few replies actually implied the Proton had been aborted and gone to Torch Heaven ........ NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!
(Picture scene out of Godfather 3 when Al Pacino sees his daughter killed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Now Chanik flies through a window (Superman style) and says the Proton will be hear in a few weeks !!!! YYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSSS !!!!!
(Picture scene out of Crash where the Locksmith realises his daughter is NOT dead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

(My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy enough when I'm watching Football ..... if she knew about my emmotional outburts over a freakin flashlight she'd have me arrested !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

redduck

Newly Enlightened

Regardless I'll still get a Fenix L1P. According to one of the posts, it has 130 min of run time at 80%, with rechargeables. And it at least has 30~35 Lumens, which should be slightly brighter than Q III. And the price is good.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not sure where the rumor started that the Proton was being abandoned. The LRI website did talk about it being "placed on the back burner" which may have been misinterpreted.

It's nice of Chanik to offer us CPFers the first few hundred production models. I wonder if a few hundred is gonna be enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

redduck: QIII is probably driven hard enough to put out ~ 60lumens luxIII specs. Perhaps you meant QI?

Chanik: What kind of led(s) is it going to use this time? low Vf Luxeon? K2? (yeah right!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif