New UltraStinger has Faceted Reflector!

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
I just got a second UltraStinger and it comes with a faceted/dimpled reflector! Well, at least the bottom half is faceted but the top also seems much smoother and brighter than my other reflector.

I will compare the beams tonight and see if there is any improvement. Although I will admit I had no issues with my original beam quality even though the reflector had some "dots" and was a little hazy in places...

Or did everyone already know this and I just have a really old UltraStinger?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's half dimpled/smoothed reflector on my UltraStinger. I didn't even know it has one with full smoothed reflector.

Alan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I noticed that mine had that "half-dimpled" effect also, but it was very subtle.

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Yes, my older US has a full smooth reflector. I compared the beams last night at various distances and found they each have unique qualities.

The old smooth reflector has a brighter, more condensed, spot. The new dimpled reflector has a slightly wider, cleaner, beam although with more focus lines in it for some reason. It also seems slightly whiter??

Anyway, I am very happy with both of them and I think I will keep the old reflector instead of sending it back for replacement.

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis:

The old smooth reflector has a brighter, more condensed, spot. The new dimpled reflector has a slightly wider, cleaner, beam although with more focus lines in it for some reason. It also seems slightly whiter??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's strange, because I see the exact opposite with my 'old' and 'new' UltraStingers: my smooth reflector one gives me a good spot, but with 4 focus lines in the shape of an X with the spot in the center. My dimpled reflector UltraStinger doesn't give quite as tight of a spot, but is more smooth and even, with no focus lines. I think the lamps are likely the biggest reason. I had to put some layers of fiberglass tape on one side of the base of the lamp that came with my first UltarStinger, to get the lamp centered so I would get a symmetrical beam and spot. I ruined my first lamp while taking it out and replacing it to get it centered. It's virtually impossible to see the pins go into the holes, as you replace the lamp. The flange at the base is just too big. (Streamlight replaced it for free, no questions asked. I like that sort of service!) But irregardless of the small differences in the beam, I think the UltraStinger is one great rechargeable for the money.
grin.gif

Numbers

Enlightened
Just registered
I have been bumping around this site for a couple of months now. Took delivery of an Ultra Stinger last week and noticed immediatly that the beam has more rings in it than I expected. (I expected excellent qualiy but not almost perfect which is what I would expect from a surefire light, based on my interpertation of what I have been reading on this site.)
So can anyone advise if these rings are normal? To what degree do your US lights show them?
Also noticed a good amount of battery rattle. Is this normal?
Thanks for your help!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here's my eval on my brand new US. At 3 ft I get a center spot of 4in with a outer spill ring of about 2ft than a greater ring of about 6ft. At 50ft, a spot of about 2 1/2ft with a spill of about 15ft. I think it's great. I WANT a hot spot torch, which I get, and also the spill is a help to spot things nearby. I had to shake hard to get a small rattle. I'm very happy with it overall.
grin.gif

Numbers

Enlightened
Phred thanks for your input. I see almost the same thing on my US as you do on yours. At 3 feet, a 4 inch spot with my first spill ring at 3 feet and the last at six feet. However in addition at about 2 feet I also have a band about five inches wide pretty much filled with rings that arent spill lines, they look like circular comet trails. A closer inspection of the reflector reveals some imperfections in the smooth part closest to the faceted part. Maybe this is causing my "comet trails".
I dont want to be too critical just trying to find out if this is normal. I like the light, it suits my purposes well and is the best one I own so far, by a long shot.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I just checked beam measurements on my US. Very similar results, except I wasn't able to do that 50' (indoor) test.

Yes, it's true that the beam is not perfect, but it's a marvelous light, and if it were perfect...Then What? Imperfections are great because they give you something to strive for (perfection) which you can never achieve, but if you actually do achieve it, you might be sorry ! (Catch 22?)

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't have a US, but I know plenty of guys who do who have had lens melt on them. Anyone else have a problem with melted lens???

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Beam Quality:
Actually, a closer look revealed that the older US has *more* rings, but they are less sharp and blur into each other in the center beam. The newer US is more focused so you can still see the rings in the center beam. Not that it really matters since both beams are very useful.

Lens Melting:
While I am sure that the lens would melt in extreme circumstances, like leaving it ON and facing down on a table, I have left mine on for 1.5hrs using a 2400MAh battery with no issues. I think even with a Lexan lens you would have a blown bulb (just as bad, since it will ruin the reflector) if you didn't allow for proper ventilation while the light was on.

JB

Enlightened
I have 6 UltraStingers. Can you tell I like them?
smile.gif
1 is of the old stock (#7xxx), i.e. smooth reflectors. The other 5 are newer (#12xxx) and have the dimpled reflectors.

The old one has a slightly tighter hot spot and the hot spot is a "harder" white. But it's not very smooth and has a little comet tail effect. OTOH, the newer ones have a more circular, larger and smoother hot spot.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Also noticed a good amount of battery rattle. Is this normal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very little rattle on mine, and only if you shake violently.

Latest posts