Decent throw in an LED lamp?

inthelight

Newly Enlightened
I'm very new to the idea of LED flashlights. Im looking for a flashlight that will give me very long throw.

So far, the Elektrolumens Blaster Series looks good. Any other suggestions?

I'd like to use common batteries (AA, C, D) not expensive ones.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
One LED light that I have that has great throw is a MagLite 3D modded with a Lux III LED. It was made by CPF member 3rd_shift. I'm not sure if he is still selling them, but if you are lucky enough to get one, you won't be disappointed.

I'm sure there are others out there, but it's the best LED thrower I have.

inthelight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion, that Propolymer looks alright. But I'm really looking towards an aluminum body, something like a maglite.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
inthelight said:
Thanks for the suggestion, that Propolymer looks alright. But I'm really looking towards an aluminum body, something like a maglite.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can modify a Mag by adding a heat sink "Hot Lips or O-sink" and direct driving a LuxIII this makes a good throw light and will help getting your feet wet at modding these lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Later
Kelly

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
inthelight said:
that Propolymer looks alright. But I'm really looking towards an aluminum body, something like a maglite.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Propoly Lux 4AA or 3C are great lights with excellent throw for that class. The plastic body is very tough.

However if you want even more throw in an aluminum-body LED light, the LEDBeam 3C Lux III has superb throw and is inexpensive:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledbeam_3c.htm

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
My suggestion is the Aurora 2AA seen here:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/aurora_alj-012aa.htm

This light is a bit longer than a Maglite in order to accomodate the switch on the body (which is quite nice) and the optic to make it throw, but throw it does! It shoots forth a really cool "spot" type beam that has defined edges like a theatrical spotlight. Because it uses the new Jupiter LED from Nichia, you get good output for over 3.5 hours on 2xAA. The finish is very attractive as well. The light can be had for a little over $30.

You say in your first post "very long throw" and that you are new to LED flashlights. Just as a warning, the Aurora does give excellent throw for an LED light, but in general, incandecents still beat LEDs throw capability. While LEDs have many advantages over incans, for some reason, incandesecent light cuts through ambient light much better (whereas LEDs really shine in true dark) and seem to throw better as well. A lot of this may be due to an LED's comparatively high (cool) color temperature while incans are much warmer- the eye is less sensitive to blue and more sensitive to yellow/green. On a side by side comparison, the Aurora I suggested will probably not beat a decent incandecent light and will appear much more blue, but offers the advantages of a virtually shockproof, permanent bulb and a much better runtime while still doing a very nice job of illuminating far away objects. It will certainly beat the pants off of a 2AA minimag!!!

matthewdanger

Enlightened
The Pelican M6 3W from BateryStation.com has pretty decent throw (and a very nice spill beam). The ProPolymers have very nice beams as well.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
He said he didn't want any "special" batteries. lol
However... the CR123 batteries are not that expensive. You can get them if you are a CPF member for $1 each. That makes them cheaper than your C or D sized batteries.