PT Tec-40 verses UK 4aaa

Raven

Enlightened
I plan to buy a couple of spare lights, for hurricane season, and will probably buy two UK 4aa lights, as I've been happy with the others I own, but the tec-40 has always been well thought of, so I thought I'd ask about it here.

Both use 4 aa batteries, and both are water resistant, and both sell for less than 20 dollars.

Is there anything that sets them apart, aside from the UK now using a switch, where the tec-40 still turns on by rotating the bezel?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like both as well.

Positives of UK: small, easier to pocket, (alleged) decent runtime, reasonable brightness, clicky switch, good price, water resistant, decent (not great) beam, tough. Very modular: able to use 2w, 4 w or even the LED head. Available 2-123 bat tube.

Negatives of UK: incan lamp assembly.

Tec-40 positives: bright, inexpensive and readily available PR bulbs, waterproof, incredibly simple, inexpensive, EXCELLENT beam (textured reflector), tough. Comes with a nice lanyard. I hear they accept the Everled quite well.

Tec-40 negatives: Head a bit large for pocket carry, some had problems using NIMH bats due to flat tabs in bat tube, somewhat slippery texture. So utilitarian, it is a bit "boring".

I placed Tec-40s in our cars with Xenon-Star bulbs, lithium bats, and lanyards that hold a spare bulb (Rayovac KPR-113).

For an inexpensive light, the Tec-40 is a fantastic all-around light. For $1.50 you can get 2 KPR 113 Rayovac bulbs which prove a great beam and a good balance of brightness and runtime.

Buy both!

Bob

paulr

Flashaholic
Tec 40 uses standard P$ bulbs, UK uses bulb-reflector assemblies that are nicer but proprietary and cost more.

paulr

Flashaholic
Tec 40 uses standard PR bulbs, UK uses bulb-reflector assemblies that are nicer but proprietary and cost more.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
What they said mostly!

My UK4AAas2 is in my Dads truck. It is a nice light no doubt, I just don't have a common use for it. As mentioned it uses lamp modules which are nice but a bit pricey and not NEARLY as easy to find as PR bulbs. I'd likely feel different about it if I had a LED module for it...

The Tec40 was my first bright light. I acquired it not long after joing CPF, and with 4AA Alk and a 3 cell M*g Whitestar it made a buddy say "WOW". I currently run it with a 4 cell M*g Xenon Starit is indeed a bright light with a GREAT beam! As mentioned, you can tune it for super bright, longer running, long term storage etc. It works nicely with an Everled (just be sure about polarity!)

In the CPF tradition I must say: "Buy Both". It's the only way to be sure!

DarthLumen

Newly Enlightened
I've purchased five Tec-40's (given 4 away as gifts). Sweet light. However, I must warn you NOT to drop lithiums in it. I've blown 2 of then doing so. PT rep told me they are not designed to handle the lithiums.
The PT Impact XL (LED) will handle them.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
I've got a UK 4AA eLed loaded with lithium batteries. All I can say is it keeps going, going ,going ,going, going,going,going..............

Latest posts