YEAH, I got to drive/operate a big truck yesterday

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a hook lift demo truck and they wanted me to see it so Id know more when talking about it.

Long story short, we can mount any body to any truck. It can be a flat bed, stake body, dump, service, tool or a pick up truck. They mounted the hydrolics to this truck and had the dump body for demoing. You can have any body on this truck on the fly cause they have multi beds that can be switched out from the cab of the truck by dumping off the old one and picking up the new one.

I headed down to the lot with a rep and we fooled with it. Its mounted on a ford f750 truck. You had three steps to climb to get inside. It started like a regular car, but had no park on the gear selector. It had a button in the middle for the air parking brake and a button for the PTO and dump thingie. It had a tach that went to 3 thousand and an air pressure meter for the air brakes. It was a somewhat harsh ride, funny since its a big truck. I thought the more mass the softer the ride would be than with a smaller truck.

Dumping it was fun. You just flip on the pto switch, push the lever and up it went. The faster you rev the engine the faster it moved. Felt funny to have the lever kick back as the system built pressure. It seemed to dump faster than it retracted. I had it reved as it was coming down and when it came down, BANG, the whole truck shooked. I was rather shocked at how simple it was. To remove the body, you push the other lever to slide it back, then dump it and it will push the body off the truck onto the ground behind it. Its hard to see the hitch in the rear winder, but if you see the mirrors, you can see the hook thingie as it lines up with the body. THen just the reverse, undump it to pull it on, then slide it forward.

I push the ford f series 650-350 depending on application as those trucks are the same physical size as the f150, so its easy to get inside with the heavier tranny and engine and other parts I left out. THe 750 is a much larger looking truck. I was rather shocked that 5 presses of the brake petal caused the low air pressure alarm to go off. I tried to work the truck so I could dump while driving forward and kept my foot on the brake to make sure i didnt hit anything inthe yard.

Wow, I thought it was great. THe rep said within a few hours of driving it my kidneys would hurt and i would learn to hate driving that truck.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: YEAH, I got to drive/operate a big truck yeste

We've got one of those at the railroad - stake bed, vacuum pumper, tank to suck & haul away oil products. Pretty versatile truck indeed!