Nuwai Q3 has changed driver boards!

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have recently traded an item for a Ti coloured Q3. I did some mods to it tonight: dual stage switch w/ 10 ohm resistor, glass lens and a TW0J star (stock was a SYAL). They have not improved the heatsinking :( but they have modified their driver board.

The changes include:
-slight redesign
-surface mount inductor
-addition of an input capacitor
-smaller sense resistor (now a 0.015 ohm vs 0.020 ohm)
-changed transistor (617 gone, new top mark is GSJ6T)
-added pad for an output cap but no Schottky diode

New

New

Old (koala's pic, blatantly snagged and reposted :) )

Paul

Last edited:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the new transistor info, however, the smaller sense resistor should increase LED current, the input cap should reduce peak battery demand, and the new inductor may (or may not) be more efficient.

Paul

aceo07

Enlightened
Hopefully someone will have some runtime info on the new Q3 (stock version).

Pretty bright, cheap and small. They make good presents for good friend or family. Also the fact they can use R123s. The R123s and rechargers are fairly cheap as well. So it's ALL good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul - you stole my picture... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif oh well, doesn't matter.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif nice find.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
Paul - you stole my picture... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif oh well, doesn't matter.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif nice find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops! :crazy: I have a folder that I populate with pics of driver boards. I take pics of the driver boards of my own lights, but I guess I forgot to take one of my older Q3. :ohgeez: Thanks (credit added :) ),

Paul

Last edited:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they have improved runtime, because this is why I do not own a Q3--dismal efficiency.

Thanks for the info! I will keep my fingers crossed for better electronics.

Bob

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did a quick check on the 10A scale with my cheapest DMM. I have an old and a new Q3. Both have J binned (voltage) LuxIIIs. I used the same battery in each. The old Q3 had a current draw of 0.7A and the new one had a draw of 1A.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
I hope they have improved runtime, because this is why I do not own a Q3--dismal efficiency.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?? 1 hour runtime from a bright 3 watt on a single battery is dismal?? And for ~30 minutes of that hour the QIII hovers around 95-100% brightness. I mean, aren't you being a bit tough on the little guy? I'd argue that dollar for dollar, this little guy is one of the best buys out there.

What little lights are impressing you these days instead?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, it is less than 1 hour (50 minutes) to 50%--but, I think some are better, and some are WORSE.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_q-3.htm

I know someone on these boards can only get about 30 minutes per battery. That is pretty bad, in my opinion.

I certainly agree that is is an INCREDIBLE bang-for-the-buck light! There are simply other comparable lights that I might prefer to save my pennies for, that have better electronics.

Here is one that has better electronics, and better overall output and throw:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/peakled_caribbean.htm

It does cost a bit, though.

Here are a few that are have similar or more output, with longer battery life. They aren't all 1x123's, however, and some are quite expensive:

Nuwai 2611x
Dorcy 3AA Luxeon
Litepro Spitfire (1x123, runs for 1:44 to 50%)
MXDL
Peak Carribean
Surefire E1L
L1 Lumamax

Some of these have more output than the Q3, and run twice as long on the same bats (1x123).

Bob

MichiganMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
Actually, it is less than 1 hour (50 minutes) to 50%--but, I think some are better, and some are WORSE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too doublechecked Flashlightreviews when I posted, I gave it the hour for simplicity's sake, rationalizing that the difference between the 50 minute brightness and the 60 minute wouldn't be appreciable to the user and the on/off cycle more typical of actual use would stretch the 50% runtime longer than a straight on runtime test.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Priorities. I agree that one is lustworthy, actually I'd snap it up at half the price, but at $99 vs $40 I find the QIII a superior choice, shorter runtime and dimness notwithstanding.

Same with the other lights, each has a characteristic that leaves it lacking against the QIII IMO, aka subjective priorities:

Nuwai 2611x - Less output, and slightly bigger, although I will admit its price compensates, and it looks pretty sharp.

Dorcy 3AA Luxeon - Having trouble finding this one... I'm gussing it would exceed the QIII in size though. I will say that the Metal Gear model from Dorcy certainly has my attention.

Litepro Spitfire (1x123, runs for 1:44 to 50%) - Good runtime, but waaay too big for EDC in business casual.

MXDL - Bigger and half as bright per Craig.

Peak Carribean - Yah, I want this one. But the price just stings.

Surefire E1L - Hard to argue against SF, much more throw, slightly more output and HA-III, but once again, the price of a KL1 and E2e body just stings.

L1 Lumamax - Same as above, and at a size where I would just carry my L4.

All good lights, and a good answer to what's catching your eye. I just maintain that the $40 pricepoint for the features that the QIII brings compensates for its shortcomings against these other great lights. That said, it would be graciously retired if I ever could persuade myself to spring for a Carribean.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a quick Lux reading with the new Q3. It was over 900 Lux at 1m with a TW0J emitter. The battery was not quite new. Not too bad - much brighter than the old Q3.

Paul

C4LED

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MichiganMan said:
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I too doublechecked Flashlightreviews when I posted, I gave it the hour for simplicity's sake, rationalizing that the difference between the 50 minute brightness and the 60 minute wouldn't be appreciable to the user and the on/off cycle more typical of actual use would stretch the 50% runtime longer than a straight on runtime test.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Priorities. I agree that one is lustworthy, actually I'd snap it up at half the price, but at $99 vs $40 I find the QIII a superior choice, shorter runtime and dimness notwithstanding.

Same with the other lights, each has a characteristic that leaves it lacking against the QIII IMO, aka subjective priorities:

Nuwai 2611x - Less output, and slightly bigger, although I will admit its price compensates, and it looks pretty sharp.

Dorcy 3AA Luxeon - Having trouble finding this one... I'm gussing it would exceed the QIII in size though. I will say that the Metal Gear model from Dorcy certainly has my attention.

Litepro Spitfire (1x123, runs for 1:44 to 50%) - Good runtime, but waaay too big for EDC in business casual.

MXDL - Bigger and half as bright per Craig.

Peak Carribean - Yah, I want this one. But the price just stings.

Surefire E1L - Hard to argue against SF, much more throw, slightly more output and HA-III, but once again, the price of a KL1 and E2e body just stings.

L1 Lumamax - Same as above, and at a size where I would just carry my L4.

All good lights, and a good answer to what's catching your eye. I just maintain that the $40 pricepoint for the features that the QIII brings compensates for its shortcomings against these other great lights. That said, it would be graciously retired if I ever could persuade myself to spring for a Carribean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree w/this... using several $1 batteries makes up for the other differences.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that is the case, it looks like it's time to replace mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chimo said: I just did a quick check on the 10A scale with my cheapest DMM. I have an old and a new Q3. Both have J binned (voltage) LuxIIIs. I used the same battery in each. The old Q3 had a current draw of 0.7A and the new one had a draw of 1A.

[/ QUOTE ]
Could this change to the new circuit board make the use of rechargeable RCR123 in the newer Q3's open to question?

Since regular (non-rechargeable) CR123 @ 3V drawing 1A is a power draw of 3watts.

A rechargeable RCR123 can measure upto 4.2V freshly charged.
(mine measured 4.07V initially, and 3.97V at the end of my ad-hoc tests.)

See this thread -
Nuwai Q3 with RCR123 + Nano Charger

My older Q3 drew
720mA on a CR123 (2.97V) = 2.14watts
and
740mA on the RCR123 (~4V) = ~3watts

pbarrette

Enlightened
Hi UnknownVT,

You said:
"Could this change to the new circuit board make the use of rechargeable RCR123 in the newer Q3's open to question?"

Not really. Using a LiIon battery with the Zetex ZXSC300 based circuit is still a bad idea, IMO. The circuit basically stops functioning when the Vin exceeds the Vf of the LED.

Basically, the light is running as a direct-drive light when you use RCR123's. The new circuit layout does not change this situation.

If you decide to run the Q3 with a LiIon battery, you would be much better off by removing the circuit entirely. The battery current is still flowing through the inductor, which is creating some losses due to the resistance therein.

A better option would be to replace the Zetex circuit with a buck or LDO circuit when using an RCR123 battery. But, keeping the stock circuit does allow you the choice of either CR123's or RCR123's. Just keep in mind that the light is essentially a DD setup when running with the LiIons.

pb

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pbarrette said:The circuit basically stops functioning when the Vin exceeds the Vf of the LED.

Basically, the light is running as a direct-drive light when you use RCR123's. The new circuit layout does not change this situation.

keeping the stock circuit does allow you the choice of either CR123's or RCR123's. Just keep in mind that the light is essentially a DD setup when running with the LiIons.

[/ QUOTE ]
pb,

Many thanks for that very useful information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif .

So in effect when using a RCR123 (ie: Vin exceeds the Vf of the LED) the circuit is kind of "by-passed" for both the old and new ciruits.

If so then the new circuit Q3's would basically work the same way with a rechargeable RCR123 ie: just be direct driven at about ~3watts.

[ QUOTE ]
koala said:
So is the new QIII brighter and running longer?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I would hazard the runtime on the new Q3 using a non-rechargeable CR123 would be noticably SHORTER (by about 30%?) than with the older circuit -
since the newer Q3 is drawing more current @ 1A vs. the older circuit's 0.7A.
But the new Q3 should be brighter than the Q3 on the older circuit.

Whereas the runtime on rechargeable RCR123 should be roughly the same as before - and the brightness would be roughly about the same as the new Q3 on a non-rechargeable CR123.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that notion.

-David

L

LED_experimenter

chimo said:
I have recently traded an item for a Ti coloured Q3. I did some mods to it tonight: dual stage switch w/ 10 ohm resistor, glass lens and a TW0J star (stock was a SYAL). They have not improved the heatsinking :( but they have modified their driver board.

Hi chimo

I see that you 'traded' for this unit of the Q-3/Titanium. Do you know the source of this light? I have received a NEW TM-303X or Q-3, and after reading your thread, opened one and on the circuit board, found the following:

TX1LW 3-WATT LED (not bad for the 'lottery')
Zetex C310
"617" Transistor (I think it is also a Zetex)

So, the only difference with this unit compared to my 8-month old unit, is the switch. This one has the tactical switch - press part way for momentary on or press all the way and release for full on.

Thanks for all the photos (even the 'borrowed' one) and the time to evaluate this unit.

Ed