Peak Matterhorn 3 LED H.P. runtime w/ lithium batt

SAKLED

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have a runtime graph of the Peak Matterhorn 3 LED Hi-Power with a lithium battery?

I can't seem to find one. The Hi-Power model seems to be overshadowed by the Ultra-Power, at least in the most recent reviews that I've seen. Any help would be appreciated!

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Peak Matterhorn 3 LED H.P. runtime w/ lithium

SAK,
I received my Peak Matterhorn 3 LED Hi-Power in the mail yesturday along with my Mediterranean with 2AA body. t.i.n. advises lithium AAA batteries so that is what I feed mine also.
From what I understand, the HO drives the LEDs at 30mA with the Ultra driving at 40mA per LED. Since the HO drives the LEDs with 25% less power, I can assume at least 25% longer runtimes. The HO has less of a load on the battery so the brightness curve should be smoother also.
I do know the new Snow29 LEDs coupled with better regulation make the new Matterhorn HO brighter with a 1.2V NiMH AAA than the old Matterhorn HO with a 1.7V lithium AAA. The new one makes a great reading light when running NiMH, keep the lithiums for other uses.

SAKLED

Newly Enlightened

"From what I understand, the HO drives the LEDs at 30mA with the Ultra driving at 40mA per LED. Since the HO drives the LEDs with 25% less power, I can assume at least 25% longer runtimes. The HO has less of a load on the battery so the brightness curve should be smoother also."

Thanks for the info BentHead. That's what I am hoping, the Hi-Power having a noticeable longer runtime of good usuable light and a smoother brightness curve with a lithium. I would still like to see a runtime graph, though.

As popular as the Peak Matterhorn is, and with the dismal runtime results of the 3 LED Ultra-Power w/alkaline on Flashlightsreviews.com, one would think that someone would have been eager to test different batteries. Especially lithium and rechargeables on both the Hi-Power and Ultra.

Perhaps someone has already posted the results and I just can't find it. If so, please point me in the right direction.

If not, Doug, T.I.N., Roy, etc., please O please help. I am sure I am not the only one interested in seeing better runtime graphs of the Peak Matterhorn.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I don't have any data on the 3xLED High power lights, but here's results some of my 3xLED Ultra power Peak Matterhorns. All tests were done with the E2 lithium cell.

PEAKALL.JPG

SAKLED

Newly Enlightened

Thank you very much T.I.N.! Overall, your results with the E2 lithium look much better to me than the results on Flashlightreviews.com with the alkaline. That was to be expected with lithium, but seeing results is better than expecting results.

With your help, I feel much better about the Matterhorn! So much better that I am going to have to order one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks again for your speedy help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
SAK,
I received my Peak Matterhorn 3 LED Hi-Power in the mail yesturday along with my Mediterranean with 2AA body. t.i.n. advises lithium AAA batteries so that is what I feed mine also.
From what I understand, the HO drives the LEDs at 30mA with the Ultra driving at 40mA per LED. Since the HO drives the LEDs with 25% less power, I can assume at least 25% longer runtimes. The HO has less of a load on the battery so the brightness curve should be smoother also.
I do know the new Snow29 LEDs coupled with better regulation make the new Matterhorn HO brighter with a 1.2V NiMH AAA than the old Matterhorn HO with a 1.7V lithium AAA. The new one makes a great reading light when running NiMH, keep the lithiums for other uses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope those numbers are wrong for the drive currents. I have a burn-in going now for the Snow 29 LEDs. The 30mA test is completed and the 40mA test is underway. You can check the third post in this thread. Recall that these burn-in tests are continuous duty (always on). With an intermittant type flashlight type use the lumen degradation is not likely to be as severe.

Paul

SAKLED

Newly Enlightened
I went ahead and purchased a Peak Matterhorn 3 LED Hi-Power, Stainless Steel Keychain style. I ordered it directly from Peak and it arrived 2 days later. I am very impressed with the overall quality and appearence. My main concern was battery runtime. I took out the stock alkaline AAA and replaced it with a Energizer L92 lithium AAA. I performed a visual test (eyeball-o-meter) as I have no other light measuring equipment. I was extremely pleased with the results!

5 hours of great output, then 1 hour of slightly diminishing output, followed by 1 hour of rapidly diminishing output. At this point, the 7 hour mark, the light was noticeably weaker and putting out perhaps 10% of the beginning amount of light. This level of light output continued, lessening ever so slightly until the 9 hour mark. At that point, I had to go to bed, but I left the light on. I ended the test shortly after I awakened. The Matterhorn was still on! But just barely, putting out just enough light to find a keyhole at very close range (less than 2 feet). Total elapsed time of the test: 16 hours and 40 minutes.

I can now expect about 6 hours of really good usable light out of my Matterhorn 3 LED Hi-Power with a lithium battery. I hope this information helps anyone who is thinking about purchasing this light and is concerned about runtime. As always, YMMV.

Sarius

Newly Enlightened

this_is_nascar said:
I don't have any data on the 3xLED High power lights, but here's results some of my 3xLED Ultra power Peak Matterhorns. All tests were done with the E2 lithium cell.

PEAKALL.JPG

Hi,

Am I understanding correctly that this graph is of six identical Matterhorns with identical lithium batteries? That is , the differences we see in the curves are due to the individual differences between identically speced lights?

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sakled, that is exactly the type of information that I was wanting to see! Thanks!

Sarius

Newly Enlightened

this_is_nascar said:
It's six different lights, each with their own battery.

Thanks, that's what I thought. Interesting the differences. As you've tested many different lights, is this kind of variation in individuals of the same model common? Is there something else that might account for the variance we're seeing here? I notice that three have almost identical curves, and three vary quite a bit from the first 3 in their characteristics.... enough so that just by looking at them, you might at first think them to be completely different lights.

I appreciate your providing this data.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Sarius said:
Thanks, that's what I thought. Interesting the differences. As you've tested many different lights, is this kind of variation in individuals of the same model common? Is there something else that might account for the variance we're seeing here? I notice that three have almost identical curves, and three vary quite a bit from the first 3 in their characteristics.... enough so that just by looking at them, you might at first think them to be completely different lights.

I appreciate your providing this data.

Variations like that are not uncommon with other like-type lights. Once there is an LED and/or circuit involved, differences like this can be a common occurrance.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sakled, thanks for the report.

I ordered the 3LED Hi-Power, after agonizing over the bad run time with the Ultra Power.

Peaks tests show only about a 20% drop in brightness from the Ultra, to Hi-Power. I hope that holds up.

Should get the HA light Monday.

I sure want more light than my ARC AAA.

How do you spell a-n-t-i-c-i-p-a-t-i-o-n ?

Sarius

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, TIN :)

So this is the famous Lottery at work, and not just Luxeon. Obviously when checking out reviews and looking at charts and numbers, we have to keep the saying "Your Milage May Vary" firmly in mind. :grin2: when trying to make out minds up.