candlepower debacle (remote rooftop spotlights)

rugup

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

How trusted can the power rating of spotlights be? Im looking to purchase a replacement for a 9.5" 1,000,000cp spotlight that was stolen from the roof of my vehicle, but have run into quite outrageous cp ratings. For example how likely is this - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=91993 - light to actually shine 15,000,000cp and how come it is 2.5x brighter then the maxa-beam that claims 6,000,000 and to be the most powerful handheld. Is the 15M figure just bogus? (((EDIT: I just noticed that this light is the "thor" there are many threads on, so disregard)))

Note that I'm after a remote, roof mounted search light, more cp the better. For now I'm looking at the 6000000cp maxa-beam which offers the "remote rooftop enclosure". What else is there? It doesnt look the most efficient use of reflector space with small diametre lens in larger case. But still has the highest cp rating I've seen in this configuration and looks tough.

Since its truck mounted, battery life and reflector size are not an issue. Any suggestions and alternatives?

Oh.. I also asked for a quote for the spectrolab CHIS http://www.spectrolab.com/prd/ils/sl-gallery.asp?p=Land-Searchlight.JPG Just because it would be amusing to own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Im sure the price will be a killer though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

rugup

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Silverfox. I already have a Lightforce 240, and have gone through a couple 9.5" powa-beams, one smashed, one nicked. I'm in Australia and every second 4x4 ute has either a powa-beam or a lightforce bolted onto it. The largest of each are both about the same power (1000000cp) and size (~9.5"), Lightforce being plastic is much lighter and slightly brighter powa-beam is metal & glass construction.

Call me crazy but I'm looking for something "different" and I havn't really found any alternatives. It only really needs to be a bolt-on spotlight >10" diametre with good illumination (already have the remote fixture).

I saw the pictures of the 15,000,000cp thor beam in this forum, and it looks nice. Nice to find a bolt on equivalent of it.

EDIT: just noticed Lightforce now make a HID 240, Anyone used one? comparisons to the halogen 240? they claim that the HID has 3x more light then the brightest halogen... $1200AUS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif If it makes a cool noise when starting up the price may be forgiven /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif But I'll need confirmation on startup noise before I buy.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded a vector vec 126 to 35 watt hid.

the vector originally was a 2 million cp spotlight

it has a phillips dl35 bulb with 3600 bulb lumens.

I wonder if it lives up to the 2 million cp spec now.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
15,000,000 CP? Pure BALONEY just like the Thor. OVER RATED. I will take my 24 watt Power light and out shine that. Any time. Anywhere. It must have a 400% efficient bulb.
CHIS is for real. Not a Toy! 300,000,000 CP on batteries!

How much $$$ did they quote you?

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
a 150 watt xenon incan will out bulb lumen a 24 watt hid - sorry.

what is the bulb lumens on yout 24 watt hid ?

probably around 1700 to 2000 lumens.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like the 24 watt hid flashlight has 1750 bulb lumens.

not bad.

11 more watts would get you 3200 lumens from a cheap automotive phillips 85122 bulb - 1450 more lumens to play with - almost twice the light.

rugup

Newly Enlightened
The quote for the maxa-beam was over $5000AUS (~3750US) too steep for me considering I already have the remote. As yet they havn't replied about the spectrolab CHIS, presumably 10's of thousands of $ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

I've decided to simply buy the Thor and replace the body with steel tubing, and wire the switch down into he cab. Possibly replace the bulb with HID when time/money permits. Looks like a nice cheap way of doing it, and it'll be original. Presumably there will be no problem wiring the Thor directly to a 12v truck battery?

Thanks all.

rugup

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sway said:
rugup squeeze here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later
Kelly

[/ QUOTE ]

Bookmarked! The difference is very significant, more then I would have thought. As I said I already have a 240, and I thought it was damn bright when I first used it, but that HID is simply on another level..

rugup

Newly Enlightened
poop..

I just realised the thor only has a 8.5" reflector for whatever reason I was thinking 14"! Probably because of its overexagerated cp rating. The lightforce 240 is bigger at 9.5".

I again have to ask if there is a spotlight reflector on the market ~12" diametre???

Theres http://www.carlislefinch.com/marine/incand1.htm but they are going to be overpriced, I'd rater make the casing myself and save 1000's of dollars! Might try contacting them and see If they will sell a reflector.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: candlepower debacle (remote rooftop spotlights

Hi, great to see another aussie on CPF! Stay a while and enjoy the light. Do you mind me asking whereabouts Oz you are?

rugup

Newly Enlightened

Gday Grox..

Im a bit west of the blue mountains, NSW. I'm still wondering why the hell there is a "candlepower forum" let-alone the reasoning behind how active this place is! You people are freaks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Quote for the reflector is in, $430US for the 15". I'm going to give it serious consideration. Does anyone see a problem with placing a few stock lightforce bulbs into this light? I cant say I've done anything like this before and since I cant see what I'm buying before I get it, any help will be appreciated!

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

see if you can find a 5300 lumen phillips dl50 bulb and a 50 watt 12 volt ballast.

some where around here is a link to 100 watt hid bulbs(and larger) and 12 volt balasts.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Hey rugup, you got some great advice already, just wanna welcome ya to CPF, why dontcha stay awhile!

daloosh

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast

The thor, or something very close to it is available at jaycar. It's not actually branded "thor" though. I haven't seen it personally but maybe you could check it out. It's about 80 AUD. Just another thing to think about.

link to jaycar catalogue item

paulr

Flashaholic

The Peakbeam guy a few months back said something about having some 1.2 kw tank spotlights for sale. Impractical enough for you?

Latest posts